The RE5 runs-crikey!

eyeguy

The RE5 runs-crikey!

Post by eyeguy »

Hi Chapsjust a quick note to say that I've finally got the RE5 running. Here it is, at Richmond lock:ImageFinally managed to get the carb all sorted and set up the cables and port valve. It's a real pain and I still can't quite believe how sensitive it all is. If something is even slightly amiss the Suzuki barely runs. No wonder so many are sold with low mileage, or with ads stating 'just needs a service' hohohohohoVery interesting riding it back to back with my Classic. The Norton would annihilate it out on the road, with one big exception. I reckon the RE5 is nicer around town! It starts easily, warms up quickly (without that annoying high rev nonsense until the boiler-tech thermal sensor decides to do its stuff) and feels more responsive off low throttle openings. Of the two, if I had to choose, it'd be the Classic. Luckily, I don't.... Very Happy CheersATGPaul
Charles Wilson

Re: The RE5 runs-crikey!

Post by Charles Wilson »

Congratulations! Looks beautiful.Next up: Check the exhaust system. Look at the aluminum exhaust 1-into-2 casting and check the 4 exhaust studs. These had a tendency to vibrate out and it was very easy to strip the threads. Some of these got considerably hogged out. "No, I didn't safety wire the exhaust. Those wires are keeping the mufflers on..."I ended up having a single exhaust pipe fabricated with the mounting tab on the right side at the right rear foot peg. ***NOTE: Give considerable thought to what kind of muffler you might use BEFORE you have Mr. Barney at Jimbo's Welding and Pastry Shop weld you up'a open pipe. ****SERIOUS WARNING****: You have no idea how loud an open pipe RE-5 is. You will end up deaf and your heart will be pounded into hamburger. I initially used an off the shelf SuperTrapp muffler that had the disks held in place with a plate and the spring device they used at the time. Flying down the road at an indicated 28 MPH and BLLLLAPPPAPPAAPPPPAPPP!!! The springs suffered a severe case of metal fatigue from heat and the Supernova explosive power pulses."Well...That didn't work.""...What?"Oddly enough, I still recommend a pipe with some kind of Diesel Super Truck muffler. The standard exhaust system for the RE-5 is marginal.Do you have an extra spark plug? From time to time I would find that a cold engine would allow the spark plug to get all goozy with oil and gas. Would not start. I would put in a "dry" plug and it would then start right up. I carried a "multi-wrench" that would allow a quick knock off of the plug and easy replacement. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. "Snug" tight is just fine.Only other major problem I had was when the Sprags wore out in the clutch and locked the starter, forcing a fabrication of a bulkhead where the starter was and forcing me to kick start all the time. Oooff! I used to have the internals listed for the starter rebuild but I don't think I still do. I remember that the end plate at the gear end of the starter was a "Special" from whatever manufacturer made the starter. If you take the starter off you can see who made the thing. You might be able to take it to a starter rebuild shop and have them look at the internals just in case.Anyway, you are off and running. If it's for show, you'll be alright. If it's for go, maybe the above will help. BTW, I found the lower handlebars the other day. Brought back memories.Believe it or not, the bike is, like most rotaries, indestructible. It will take you thousands of miles and never even blink.Again, congratulations.CW
Charles Wilson

Re: The RE5 runs-crikey!

Post by Charles Wilson »

'N while I'm thinking of things that happened to my bike: This Sad Tale.I did lose a rotor assembly once. As I stated, for about 8 years, this was my only form of transportation."Those were the days..."Anyway, the bike comes to a stop, popping and exploding and popping some more. I pushed it to a friend's house. I open the right side case...The eccentric has a gear for the duplex chain that drives the clutch and the gear is secured by a woodruff key. After years and years of (ab)use, the key had wallowed out the groove and Blammo!, end of Charlie's ride. There are a few stories in the underground of how the engine that became the RE-5 found its way from a German Sports Car to a Japanese Motorcycle. The Solex carburetor is one artifact. The use of a Key may another.When they were first produced, Suzuki would trade out the entire Rotor Assembly for $125. It may have been more when I got mine but I was told that I got one of the last five. Dunno if that's true... However, the bike was rebuilt and that was that.I wouldn't go tearing into the motor just to check. By this time, the gear may have become One With The Eccentric anyway. If it's low mileage, happy mot...happy rotoring!