video or cd

johnbirchjar

video or cd

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,am I right in thinking that Startright produced a video/cd on how to strip and re-build a rotary engine?rgds,J.B.
Ian

Re: video or cd

Post by Ian »

Yes, there was indeed one, though I didn't buy it. (shame on me, but I rebuilt the Commander using the workshop manual for an IP2 with supplements)I'm pretty sure it was sold by the Norton Owners Club, who may still offer it. Have you asked Graham if he has any?
gripper

Post by gripper »

I used a copy of the dvd to rebuild my IP2, saves a lot of effort understanding how it all comes apart and more importantly goes together. Graham rebuilds his engines with the manshaft vertical, I recall Richard telling me he tends to build his engines with the shaft horizontal. It was about the most demanding thing I've ever done in the garage and luckily I didn't have the radio on, so I heard one of the smaller tip seals drop out, luckily it didn't drop to the bottom of the lower chamber. More vaseline is the answer!! If you get stuck for the dvd and are going to do it yourself let me know and you can borrow mine.Dave E
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

gripper wrote: I recall Richard telling me he tends to build his engines with the shaft horizontal.Dave E
I find it easier to assemble the shaft and r/h rotor onto the r/h plate with the shaft horizontal, and then turn that assembly to the shaft in the vertical position to assemble the remainder.For the gearbox, I always do that with the shafts horizontal and with the cam in 5th.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that guys,should I try and "have a go me self ",no doubt I shall be back on this forum wink ,ride safe,J.B.
commando-rotary

Post by commando-rotary »

Hi john i am retired precision toolmaker who normally does all his own engine work but had richard build both my rotary engines because as pete morris once said to me it is a simple engine but there a lot of things you can do wrong. for instance the eccentric shaft will grow in size with heat/use and the rotor bearings will become tight and contrbute towards hot running, richard and graham have the equipment to measure these things (as we are talking microns) and have the experience to decide on any remedial work. the parts are expensive their labour is not so. cheap for the peace of mind that is is done right by a person well experienced in all things rotary. this of course is only my opinion you decide.hope this helps D G
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I concur with Dave. I did the second rebuild of my Interpol in 1989 [First by Reg Allens] & spent a lot of time on the phone to Shenstone & after that experience all subsequent rebuilds [F.1./commander] have been factory rebuilds.Derek F.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that guys,(I now have conflicting experiances,)in the end I expect the decision will be "finance" (or the lack of wink ) U.C.L. first though smiley,ride safe,J.B.