In case you did not know it yet....

ZFD

In case you did not know it yet....

Post by ZFD »

Just received from Nick Hopkins a cutting from the Sunday Times, 04.12.11 (yes, not very current!) "Bank boss gets on her bike", describing how the totally selfless Santander Bank sponsors small, struggling enterprises under the guidance of a Lady who grounded her own enterprise before she started to work for Santander and now judges others. One of those enterprises is in Donington, and I read as follows: "Norton was put up for sale by an American investment banker, who had bought it as a vanity project". News to me- I had dealings with that investment banker, and to the end most members of the general public never heard his name. A most peculiar form of vanity!But it gets better: "Garner, who built the engine for the Norton bike that dominated the race tracks in the 1990s, agreed to buy it." Just in case you wondered who built them, or believed some boys in Shenstone did it, the truth is now out in the open at long last! wink To be fair, what one tells journalists and what then appears in the newspapers is often not the same thing, and few journalists offer to have their drivel proof-read before it goes into print.
Wayne

Re: In case you did not know it yet....

Post by Wayne »

Hi JoTotaly agree the article in last months classic racer had a NRS Harirs frame on the mountan at cadwell in 89?, also they made a bit of a messup explaning the fring cycle in the main text contradicting the capcity box out. The last thing i need when all the old cappacity arguments are comming out again.In short i learnt my lesson with the mags, ask to proof read first, but this dosenot alway work i am told by a man who defenatly knowsRegards Wayne
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

I was recently asked to comment on a rotary feature for bike magazine. So many mistakes, and no time to do anything about it. I've no idea what actually got published, but I fear more myths have been created.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

Richard,At least we now know your involvement with the rotary engines is a myth- they were all built by a young apprentice gamekeeper! So you and Bob please stop to pretend otherwise. The truth always come out, even if it comes out more than 20 years later!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi allI am often amazed how some of the stuff i have turned up is identified by the shenston men suchas richard, bob, members of the race team and non shenston such as jo and graham.Most is not widely known. i am lucky you guys are still around and interested in helping, I dread to think what it would be like if we just had the Noc without you lot, No doubt a member from east yorshire wouls say my 666 rotors and stationary gears never existed, or my aluminum f1 clutch drum, or my lightend chain primary drive from Nrs-1-8, direct oil feed to rotor bearing ecentric shafts. or there are no Rcw-?-? f1 engines, in addition she would probrly say without a manxman there would have been no rotarys as well. My knoledge is the tip of the ice burge compaird to you guys, i would be amazed if Guarner new which way the differant engines turn let alone any thing ells, he certanaly had nothing to do with my Rc or rcw and will be told so and to refrain from it, i am sure i will see him at the tt. Bluntly i am sick of this man trying to pass talented peoples work of as though he had some involvment. I would like to shove my Harris beam frame (he thinks there the same as a spodnon) where the sun dose not shine on mr gauners personRegards Wayne
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

Non-Shenstone man? Yes, geographically correct, but I was involved heavily in rotaries as a works outpost and employee/shareholder of a joint venture firm. Guess who did all the emissions testing, not to mention who suggested the technical spec for the F1Sports to overcome the F1 emissions/heat problems. Then again, I could never win a Norton Rotary quiz against either Richard or Bob! So you will be there to watch the "Apron" win the TT? Lucky man! I guess I will go next year, when the success is repeated with the 700cc Rotary.......... wink
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

hi jothe above coment was not a dig but a compliment, the 700 engine should be good, a pity golden eara suberbikes wont let me use the shaft rota and housings with the rest f1 in my pland Duchams rep Race bike and i do men race bike, though Rc30 owo1 and Zxr750 can run oversize barrels in the class. Talking to Dave Hickman and Brain the 588 will do enough against them even the Rc or Rcw would aparently give them a run for the money.Now i do Have that prototype F1 frame, 700 engine may be a ideaRegards Wayne