one for Richard Jo or Bob

Wayne

one for Richard Jo or Bob

Post by Wayne »

Hi AllThe race bikes had a black metal Id plate glued on to the frame beam, there are the rivet holes in them but were not used, currently i need these plates re ataching to the frame to conform to Acu rules evan for parade only. The frames have the spondon frame numbers stamped on in the most inacerseble place, (no i will not re stamp the frame just incase someone sugests it). Are the plates avalable from andover, i am happy for them to be pre stamped or blank i just dont know the Rcxx number yet, but my bikes are the 6th and 9th made, RC006 and RC009 perhapse?Regards WaynePs how do you mark bore x stroke on a rotary race engine, Hue used OXO and i dont think the scruteneers saw the funny side at times
Bob

Re: one for Richard Jo or Bob

Post by Bob »

Wayne,The swept volume was worked out as follows 3*Sqrt 3 * R * e * WR , e & W is found by the scrutineer measuring the major axis and the minor axis and the housing width. Sqrt 3 = 1.73205 3 * 1.73205 = 5.19615 constant true for all Epitrochoidal Rotary Engines.Major Axis say 16.62 cm & Minor Axis 11.98 cm R is found as follows ( Major Axis + Minor Axis ) / 4 = 7.15 cme is found as follows ( Major Axis - Minor Axis ) / 4 = 1.16 cmW is the measured width of housing, say 6.82 cm Swept volume is then worked out 5.19615 * 7.15 * 1.16 * 6.82 = 293.92 cc per Rotor, ( two rotor = 588 cc) the FIM then introduced a 1.5 factor to bring the cc to 441 cc per cylinder or 882 cc say for the twin rotor.I just cannot remember but I did produced a paper that was issued to the ACU and I do remember training the chief scrutineers at an ACU national meeting near Coventry in winter 1988, I think you may have it in the Rowley archive that you are looking at.You would need 3 measurements to prove the cc, 71.5 mm, 11.6 mm & 68.2 mm found by the above major and minor axis formula For the Land speed record we authorized the Chief ACU scrutineer to drill holes in the motor because he wanted to measure physically with liquid measurement that he had been using for 30 odd years., and the results concurred with 294 cc , I recall that Dave Evans was non to happy, when I gave him the parts back, drill holes and all. Bob
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi BobI have a copy of the notes to acu scruteneers thanks yo you.The frame plate infor mation on the Museums Rc588 dose not have the frame number or indvidual ar number it has the followingTYPE RC588the next three boxes are un stamedFrame No ACU / TESTCYLINDERS 588 3500 (EITHER) FF (OR) PP (THE WORDS IN BRACKETS DONT APPEAR I CANT MAKE OUT IF ITS TOW F'S OR TWO P'S.Either way the above info must be dsiplayed on the bike its the Std Norton Motors Frame Plate soi need two of themRegards Wayne
Bob

Post by Bob »

Wayne,Can you send a Photo?The words could be sv, cc .Did you say that 3500 is on the plate, this could be the RPM for the static noise test? we conducted noise test at Cadwell park, as we was trying to correlate the engine RPM to the sliding apex seal speed / conventional piston engine sliding speed, (you will find a formula for working this out), and drive by noise audit test, the point on the track being just after the leap by the road crossing, when the riders powered on again.I may have the results and this could have the information that you need, it will be in the Race archive, post race minutes of meeting, early to mid 1989.if the 3500 is rpm then at this RPM the data was as follows. 477.285 mm total sliding per 1080 deg shaft 9.28 m/sec average 0.628 mm for first deg at major axis 13.2 m/sec Max 0.184 mm for last deg at minor axis 3.9 m/sec MinFor this engine RPM the Apex sliding speed at the exhaust port closing was around 12.9 m/sec at 3500 rpm, and from memory this was the area of interest. The above true when, e=11.6 R=69 & a=2.5 Trochoid checking constants' Major axis dim A = (e+R+a)*2 Minor Axis dim B = (R+a-e)*2 Waste dim C = A - 41.688 K 5.95 K value Bob
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi bobEmail sentRegards Wayne
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi allThanks to Mark Simpson i now have an origonal Rc588 plate, just need one fore the rcw now Regards Wayne
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

It's a bit complicated init!?J.B.