French Advancer

Interpol2471

French Advancer

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi, especially to the forum members from down under has anyone seen or heard of the French Advancer?This was a one off special using a UK built frame with a Sachs rotary engine mated to a BMW shaft drive and gear box. I have been reading all about it and spoke to a former owner today before he believed it was bought by an Australian and shipped overseas.Pictures and even its wherabouts would be really interesting.many thanks Paul
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: French Advancer

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

I remember this machine well, built by a Mr Colin French.If memory serves, it was registration no. FGC 1K (or maybe FCG 1K?) but anyway, I was able to find out its whereabouts - and there it was, next door to Medstead & Four Marks Station on the Watercress Line in Hampshire.The bodywork was a vile lime green metallic colour. I never heard it run but the then owner was a friendly enough chap; can't remember his name, and he never did join the ROC.We must be talking a good 20+ years ago now as the railway had not yet extended this far.What makes you think the bike is now in Australia, Paul?I believe it has dropped off the DVLA database so is unlikely still to be in the UK.DC
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi David, I believe I was speaking to the very same man as you. He told me that he had bought it from Colin and owned it for some time, he also told me that he sold it to an Australian chap and believed that it had been exported when he left the country. Lets hope not any clues anyone else?
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I spoke today to the seller of the bike and he confirmed my fears that the bike is now probably in Australia. He did tell me though that he has some photographs remaining of a trip to the I.O.M and some details of the bikes construction which he will loan to me in the next few weeks Very Happy
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Spoke to John the old owner again yesterday and I have some pictures to upload. He remembers selling the bike in about 1988 and he also remembers buying from a man called WD Wigley? Who did you know Dave?
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

No idea of the name Paul .... who was it who lived next to the Mid-Hants Railway? DC
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi The French Advancer picture is now in the gallery.We believe it was the first owner Mr WD Wigley that liked by the Railway and he worked in Bordon Hants.The second owner Mr. J.Gibbs lived near Andover and these are where I got the pictures from and the design paperwork.Someone must know of it's whereabouts now?
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Any thoughts ANYONE cry Image
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I now have a number of pictures of the bike and I hope to do a small write up for the club mag to help with the trial.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Yes please Paul .... still space in the next issue ....DC
FloridaMike

Post by FloridaMike »

Interesting device . . .The transmission appears to be out of an early 50's 250cc single (R25/3) because it has the hand neutral finder lever and the open drive shaft coupler (shiny band at the rear of the transmission) and no air filter housing on top as with the twin cylinder bikes. The final drive might be R26, though, because it looks like the builder used the later, closed BMW rear swing arm and rear wheel. (The R25 had an open drive shaft and a plunger frame, the R26 had a closed drive shaft and a swing arm with shock absorbers.)Frame detail is interesting - he uses the engine and transmission as the lower frame member, ties to the engine at the top front and somewhere under the transmission at the back. Wonder what clutch he used? The BMWs used a dry clutch.Love to see some more detailed photos.Best Regards,FloridaMike