Ro80 (Beru) spark Plug in an RE5

SuzRE5a

Post by SuzRE5a »

Has anyone out there tried a Beru G 3/18 Ro80 plug in an RE5a. The Beru looks almost identical to the NGK Au10. Regards, Vance
re5rotary

Post by re5rotary »

Hi I havent tried the Ro80 plugs in the RE5 but I have tried it the other way round ie the NGK plugs in my Ro80. No reason why it wouldnt work. The Ro80 seems to un the same on either plug and Im sure the heat range would be similar. Terry
SuzRE5a

Post by SuzRE5a »

Hi and Thanks for the Reply. I have heard that it can be done but there is some conflicting information. I want to be absolutely certain before I try it. I have a Beru plug and I can see that the neck is tapered more than the stock RE5 plug. This implies that it might seat a little lower than the stock plug. I don't want the plug to hit the Apex seal......It would be nice if I had a spare engine that I could fit the Beru plug into and then observe how it looks with the combustion chamber open. My thinking is that since it appears that BERU is still making plugs for the Ro80 that maybe RE5 owners could utilize these as an alternative. I realize the Beru plug is not a cheap plug but it is a quality one. I am willing to pay for quality.
smngdfry

Beru plugs

Post by smngdfry »

Hello. I too have used Beru plugs in my RO80 and preferred them to the Bosch alternative. But I have recently changed over to the 3 electrode NGK ones (as used in the Mazda RX7) with a threaded adaptor. First impressions are that there is less banging and popping on the over-run. Some of the pundits in the RO80 club reckon that the modern plugs are an improvement on the original specification, so it will be interesting to see how you get on with the Beru ones in your RE5.