Wankeltreffen 2010

graham

Wankeltreffen 2010

Post by graham »

What an excellent weekend! I used my new GPS; Bluetoothly attached to my helmet :-) Took me straight there without problemIt's quite a long way, 600 miles in total so it took 10 hours on Friday, arrived at 10.30 PM (9.30 UK time)It was a busy rally site with lots of fascinating ' oldtimer' bikes and scooters, along with over 20 rotary riders arriving from Germany, Belgium, and the UK. Daytime and evening food was in the style of a 'burger van' but all the meat and bread was local and fresh on the day. Very enjoyable. Breakfast was a friendly affair I've seen before at German events with a massive tent and club members cooking and refilling tea and coffee cups for as long as you want. For me, it was a time to sit out of the Sun and renew old friendships. Nice to meet lots of dedicated Rotary Nuts again, Gerd Hilling who organised last years event made the long trip down from Papenburg. His bike deservedly won a prize, he finished it in time to make his first long trip on this bike - to the Wankeltreffen.Hanspeter Günthart arrived from Switzerland with his Russian rotarys, I enjoyed a short ride on 'the green one' It reminded me of the Van Veen I rode; though the Van Veen felt much heavier and more sophisticated, I really liked the Russian big single, the excellent torque left me wanting to take it for a ride round Scotland or the Alps. Like so many Russian machines it felt like it'll last for ever! Rally organisers have no control over the weather but ... It was too hot: 35 degrees C plus! It meant the 600 mile ride back took it's toll on BWE, the ambient temperature was near 40 degrees. I enjoyed a short ride through the local hills with Martin Ruehe on the way back. We sat down for dinner and listened to the cheering as England exited the world Cup!! At least the roads were empty. With BWE running at 95 degrees on the Autobahn, I slowed down to 70mph and kept checking the radiator level at every petrol stop. In the end, the ambient temperature started to fall and I sat at 120 or 130 kph as required.Caught the 11pm Sea France crossing and was disappointed to find the Cafe, Restaurant and shop all closed at 10-30PM!! That was going to be my food break I've forgiven them now but I was unimpressed at the time..Arrived home 4.30 A.M. Fell asleep in the bath cry . I took the day off work today and now finally after 36 hours, it's time for bed smiley.Silly statistics miles this weekend 1211.9 Moving Average 62 mph Maximum speed (Short stretch of unrestricted Autobahn) 107mphI know there are at least five more club members who made the trip, hope you all arrived home safely.Graham.PS. Full report to follow for the epitrochoidPPS, Gallery photo's to follow once I'm rested.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Wankeltreffen 2010

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Glad you made it home Graham ... yep, wasn't it warm? .... I was pleased to be on the unfaired RE5 (jacket unzipped = breeze cooled kidneys) while the others of the 'gang of four' sitting behind their fairings really did suffer from 'Betty Swollocks'; at least Gerald and Joe's Commanders behaved themselves on the return run.DC
johnbirchjar

Re: Wankeltreffen 2010

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Graham,I had every intention of attending the Wankeltreffen this year but as I explaind to David, my family "took the hat round" and treated me to a blast round Silverstone in an Aston Martin Vantage for my big Seven O,and it was the same weekend as the W/treffen,and judging by your report,I do'nt think that I could have traveled with you,600 miles in one day is to much for this old biker,400 is the absolute max,(even at 130/140k cruising speed,which is my norm on M/ways & A/bhans)but I shall try very hard to make it next year,lets hope that it dos'nt clash with the NOCs international rally,(its in the U S.of A,)and I realy must take the Classic to that one,I should think that Classic,s are very thin on the ground on the other side of the pond.Hope to see a good gathering of rotaries in Spain next week,ride safely,J.B.