MOLYED

vontripper

MOLYED

Post by vontripper »

hi all 1990 commander 32000 miles on clock, is there any way to find out it this bike has bin molyed IE. by looking at engine... do they stick a lable on frame some where [year and mileage done on bike] previous owner could not help on this matter. if i have to get this molyed. i found STARTRIGHT in Leeds that does this work, is there anyone closer i live in Rugby. Warwickshire Reguards Von Very Happy Very Happy
[color=#FF0040]God Willing & The Creek Don`t Rise[/color]
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: MOLYED

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

I don't know if it's done to ALL moly'd engines, but when Graham did that on my IP2 he put a 'M' suffix on the engine number; perhaps check and see if yours has this?; if Peter Morris still has the factory records from Shenstone & Rugeley, they might show whether the bike was so treated by Norton Motors.DC
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

HI thx for info on M stamp ....i get bike tomorrow [sat] so i will look for that. P Morris is he a member here ? if not how do i contact him ? and what info does he need ....engine number..... reg number thx again for help von Very Happy
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

You can also contact Richard who is a member he does moly'd engines too and in Rugeley.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
graham

Post by graham »

Hi Vontripper,Welcome to the madhouse!If you're willing to do the rebuild work yourself, £150 a face for Moly coating is a good price considering how much work is involved.First I have the endplates grooved out to make them ready for metal spraying; then the endplates are blasted with very rough grit to help adhesion. Pure Molybdenum is then metal sprayed into the groove. In a seperate engineering process, the plates are machined smooth. For me, the end result is a joy to behold. Though I would be the first to admit anything trochoid shaped gives me that same (sad?) adrenaline rush :-).Has it been Moly coated? If you PM me with the frame number I'll check my records and everyone elses but I've a feeling that if it was Moly coated, the previous owner would remember spending a small fortune!! Anyone who says 'I don't know' to the question 'has it been Mol'd?' has to be kidding!! I remember EVERY time I spend that much money :-)Keep asking questions, there are lots of enhthusiastic owners out there. Having spoken to some of them on the 'phone, I realise though I've worked on more rotary engines than most folk, there's a fair few clever knowledgeable owners out there who can still teach me a thing or two..Graham.PS To keep the price down to £150 a face I have to process batches of 12 faces or more. Please be prepared to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a batch. Or have deep pockets :-)
Rotor 1

Post by Rotor 1 »

Hello von Tripper,Welcom!Which Commander did you bought?The grey one from ebay last week? The guy Wayne Causey?Hope you have good and happy miles!DickHolland
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi again vontripper,Grahams right about remembering having an engine mollied,I had mine done some ten years & 42,000+ miles ago(lots of dosh!!)needless to say I kept the receipt,(I would be very wary of an owner that did'nt keep the recipe,but there again,I am by nature a cynic) all this aside,Shenstone did the work(John Williams himself)but there is nothing on the bike to say as much,so think positive and enjoy the bike.ride safely,J.B.
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

HI read back a bit ...its MOLEYED ..OK
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi,mollied molyed, who cares!!,by the way, are you ( vontriper)the guy that asked me about Commanders when we were at Brooklands on the 22nd of last month?(because you were thinking of buying one)I had my Classic on display on the Norton stand,and we chatted together for some time, regards,J.B.