Rear shocks

andygbsmith

Rear shocks

Post by andygbsmith »

I have been thinking about changing the rear shocks on my commander. Any thoughts/ experience.Andy
Interpol2471

Re: Rear shocks

Post by Interpol2471 »

Andy I rebuilt mine as all parts are available from Ikon and not too expensive either. They are near Three Cross if I remember correctly.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

What I should of mentioned is I now have a supreme commander and the extra unsprung weight makes me think a stonger spring and larger range of damping adjustment would help.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Just down the road from me here in Essex is Hagon (who took over all Girlings tooling etc) and they will do a bespoke shock to your specification. Have a look at http://www.hagon-shocks.co.ukDC
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Try Norman Hyde of Warwick who supplies Ikon suspension units and springs.The Ikon springs will fit the koni units, and from memory a 213 spring is the next stronger spring up from the std P52/P53 spring. If you want to go stronger, try 222 springs.ATB.
gripper

Post by gripper »

I thought the supreme Commander had a alloy swinging arm and MZ wheels. Is that going the increase the unsprung weight? I think you would only need to increase the spring rate if you were going to carry more weight ie luggage/passenger and that is sprung weight. Unsprung weight is the bits that go up and down with the wheel. Tyre, brake disc and calliper, wheel, rear sprocket and chain case, and half the swinging arm. If the overall weight of the bike is lighter you would need a softer spring or less preload. My IP2 without the fairing has pretty hard forks even after removing the one inch spacer above the spring. Softer springs is the cure for that. The same is true about the back end without panniers, radio, police lights etc. The original Konis are well hard even on the lightest setting. The Hagons on my Commander are much more compliant.
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

The wieght of the spondon arm larger wheel/tyre and brembo brake must have an effect.To prove the point I swaped the Konis off my normal commander having just returned from france two up with luggage and no problems.On the Suprem Commander two up no luggage rear shocks bottom out easily therefore my conclusion is a stronger spring and a better range of damping adjustment would be the answer.I will give Hagon a callAndy
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

I have gone the Hagon route along with stiffer rear springs and so far its looking good.Andy