Recommend a crash hat?

MrB

Recommend a crash hat?

Post by MrB »

Time for me to buy a new crash helmet. Right now I have an Arai FV full face and a cheapy open face. I use the Arai for long distance and the open face for local low speed stuff. I've tried on the new Arais but I find they crush my cheeks. This brought back memories of when I got my first Arai - I took a needle and thread to it to pull the cheek pads in and relieve the pressure. Never was overly happy with it, fine round the skull but too tight from half way down.I quite fancy one of the flip up type as IP2 fairings are pretty hot in the summer months. Maybe with built in blue tooth. Don't want to skimp but don't want to pay a fortune either.Any recommendations?
andygbsmith

Re: Recommend a crash hat?

Post by andygbsmith »

If you go to a good dealer they should have a range of cheek pads to fit the Arai and should swap them at no cost.I use a Arai open face all year round and I'm very happy with it.Andy
MrB

Re: Recommend a crash hat?

Post by MrB »

So as to close this one, I bought a Schuberth J1. A bit flash maybe but on the practical side I'm very pleased with it. Open face but with a bit of chin protection. Brilliant visor, although it would be good if it opened that tiny bit further (probably catch the wind though). Very light weight indeed. The built in sun visor is brilliantly useful - 250 miles heading west in the afternoon, no sore eyes due to the sun and at a flick I could see perfectly when entering the tree laden sections of the A303. I have the matt black and somehow they have developed black reflectors - I'm not kidding, they really do reflect! Heaven knows how. And it's cured my noisy gearbox to boot - can't hear third gear at all now smiley Johnny