epitrochoid 77

graham

epitrochoid 77

Post by graham »

Thank you David. I've really enjoyed reading the epitrochoid. Not being able to visit events as often as i would like it's been wonderful to read of rotary miles clocking up. Bring on the hydrogen filling stations - we're ready :) Graham
Derek Nicol

Post by Derek Nicol »

Excellent Epiwotsit as usual. Personally i would be quite sad to see it change from a real magazine to a virtual one... just my opinion. I like having a collection to look back through now and then and i spend far too much of my life sat in front of a 'puter screen already. I guess it boils down to cost and Davids valuable time, perhaps you cant stop the onward march of progress :?:
Malc

Epitrochoid 77

Post by Malc »

Glad to see JML back with an SU carb, although not directly rotary related, Stef, a service engineer at Norton used to come over to Derbyshire workshops during the late eighties. He also used to run a Commando, as I think some other rotary owners do. He made an adapter plate and fitted an SU off a rotary which also worked very well. He said he had better fuel consumption but did lose a bit of top end power.I have a picture of an RE5 being raced, it is in a book on Japanese motorcycles published in 1983. It is black with a bump seat and 'Geoff Monty' on the dide panels who if I remember did do some sponsorship. Does this sound like the Doodlebug ? Malc
Wilky

Post by Wilky »

Hi Malc (and others).Graham Cogle bought up a lot of Geoff Monty's parts stock when they closed.I did get to see in his garage once, lurking amongst the other RE5's was a 'racing RE5'. I wonder if this is the same one?Regards Dave.
Malc

Post by Malc »

Hi dave It probably is. Unfortunately there is no information on who was riding, or when or where the picture was taken.Malc
Wilky

Post by Wilky »

Hi Malc.Might be going up to Graham C's soon to carry out some work.If so, I will take my digital camera and ask if I could take some pictures of the Racing 5 and the others. Regards Dave.
kanonkopdrinker

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Dave, if you're going to see Graham Cogle, could you endeavour to get some sort of stock list of his remaining RE5 parts?Also, if you could cop a list of his RE5 frame & engine numbers for the ROC machine register, that would be helpful. When we last corresponded (years ago now) he was very secretive and said he didn't want people to know what, and how many RE5s he owned.....(Sam, with his 70+ machines never had this hang up!!)
Wilky

Post by Wilky »

Hi KKD (D.C. :D )I'll do my very best with stock list and the bike frame/engine numbers at Graham's. I've just bought a black RE5A from Andy Hodge in Prestwick, very good unrestored example from Texas (originally 11 years ago) but only UK registered last year. Funny that, both my red M and black A have come from there!Graham has (from memory) 5 RE5's, but not sure on the model make-up, except that he definitely has 'the Racing RE5' as one of that bunch.I spoke to him last July and he intimated that he would part with some of the bikes for 'right offer' but as you say (and without being offensive) he does 'play his cards close to his chest'.I think he may have had a bad experience dealing with people wanting bikes/parts in the past and this has made him wary!!Sorry I didn't make it to Stanford Hall this year, not long back from a trip to Czech Rep and Germany. Les Bensley (Blue RE5M) and Terry Hoyle (Norton Classic) were at the ROC day at Standford and said it was a good day out. Interesting to see the SU conversion on your RE5 - has it made a big difference? Will try and get out to a few Rotary meets in the next year.Regards Dave.