Thank you Norton for IP2 fairing.

Interpol2471

Thank you Norton for IP2 fairing.

Post by Interpol2471 »

Went to the Wheels show Friday in the torrential rain and for the first real time I found how good the IP2 barn door fairing is, even after fighting thru heavy traffic (yes she did overheat and get hot and bothered) 3-4mile queues I arrived near enough dry as a bone laughing at all the other bikers in wet leathers and dripping waterproofs.It is nice to see how much interest the old girl gets at shows as I guess many people have not seen the older air cooled rotors and many could be seen scratching their heads looking at the weird engine design and asking about it. I guess at least with the IP2, like the Classic, you can see the engine and at shows it becomes quite a talking point. It's amazing how many Rotary experts there are out there willing to tell you everything thats about to explode out of the engine because they read a magazine article on it 25 years ago wink It's good to be different I think cool
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Malc

Re: Thank you Norton for IP2 fairing.

Post by Malc »

Great aren't they, never realized how good until I used one for a winter 80 mile commute, more stainless parts than the Commander, thought I had wrecked it with the amount of road salt that was on it every day but it still cleaned up well.Never ever thought I would want an IP2 on the road, it was just a mobile supply of spares for the race bike at the time.You would be shocked if you knew how many engines and gearboxes I did have to rebuild on them though!Looking through my old log book which I kept does not make good reading, though to be fair, some were early engines and even on BMW courses it was said that, as a rule of thumb, problems encountered on police bikes would only be encountered on civilian models at triple the mileage. Got through 1 engine and 2 gearbox main shafts on the race bike, good fun though.
Malc

Re: Thank you Norton for IP2 fairing.

Post by Malc »

Better mention the very good points;CLUTCHES, brilliant, only ever changed 1 set in police use and my race bike is still on its original.SILENCERS, never ever changed any, apart from 1 accident damaged one. BMW R80s got through a pair every 2 years and the K series used to blow holes in their stainless silencers where the shield fitted.DRIVE CHAINS, only ever replaced 1 chain and that was as a precaution at about 70,000 miles. Had to make a point of removing the onodized chain adjustment slides in the swinging arm to re-grease as they seized with so little use. A far as I am aware, the 468,000 IP2 is still on original all three.