f1 start up

Siran

f1 start up

Post by Siran »

Hi all, started up my f1 after being stood for about 8 months, started fine ran clear then after about 2 mins started to smoke from both exhaust's, thought must be oil in exhaust's so went for about a 5 min run but it didn't clear, left it a couple of days before I decided to have a look, started it again ran clear for a couple of mins then smoke again from both exausts,almost as if its sucking oil into engine as its running, any ideas please
wust588

Re: f1 start up

Post by wust588 »

Hello Siran,
How much oil is it burning? Enough to fill the road behind, or just a little bit?
I think a much longer ride is needed, but you could check to see if the oil pump cable has become dislodged from its
ferrule.
The bike will smoke though after a long lay up. Some Italian tuning might be in order.
ATB.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Sounds like the pump is working "overtime" evil,like the previous suggestion,check the cable hasn't jumped out of it's ferrel.
I rode from Essex to a NOC rally in southern Ireland some years back with the oil cable sitting on top of it's Ferrel red face,Emptied the oil tank exclaim,It was only because someone asked where the oil filler cap was on Classics that I checked the oil.(had a hell of a job finding 30 or 40 mono oil in Ireland)J.B.
Siran

Post by Siran »

hi
on start up it runs clear but after about 2 mins it smokes you out you carnt see across my garage,stop it again for a day or so it runs clear again for a couple of mins,it was ok when I layed it up,
Siran

Post by Siran »

so sorry yes fills the road behind you
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Definitely sounds like the oil pump,have you checked the setting?other than that I have no idea,J.B.
Siran

Post by Siran »

i don't know the oil pump settings but they carnt have moved while bike was stood ?
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

Must be worth taking the cover off the oil pump, then ,twisting the throttle on and off, see what happens at the pump. The pump lever should respond to what the throttle cable does.
It's just a cover, nothing will leak or fall out !
Regards, Terry.
mike_500

Post by mike_500 »

a cable can get stiff through standing and when you open the throttle the cable can stick keeping oil pump wide open then slowly close when its parked back up