now classic owner

TRIDENT

now classic owner

Post by TRIDENT »

Thanks to Richard Negus have purchased a classic from KH Dartmouthawaiting collection and delivery.
holger999

Re: now classic owner

Post by holger999 »

please photos wink regardsHolger
TRIDENT

Post by TRIDENT »

tried to upload pictures but says files to large.tried in zip file still no go. evil
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Most of my images, and particularly those for magazine articles, are typically 6 - 7 MB.For on-line posting, I reduce them down to around 1 MB using 'Resize Image' function of Photoplus editing software. The more usual Photoshop has a similar function.Posting on the ROC gallery no longer seem to work for me, or several others, and there doesn't seem to be any urgency to fix it so I show photos as an attachment to a Forum post.
LE064-75.jpg
This is one of David's, first reduced to 2.5 MB (still too large) and then to 1.2 MB.R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
TRIDENT

Post by TRIDENT »

Thanks for email Richard, yes had a friend delivering Domiracer to Barnstable next day lucky that ,plus yea give us a chance just cleaned off wheels and underbody dirt then got in workshop tofit ballast resistor ard general look over to learn a bit about mechanics of machine,Oh panels fitted like that on delivery you can now sleep ok fitted correctly now.ps is plug gap 1mm as in handbook and manual 10mm come on.Dont have photo edit on computer thanks for posting picture.Will be in touch very soon you bet.Regards David Very Happy
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

David,Your Classic handbook probably says that the spark plugs should be Champion UG80PV, a now-rare-as-rocking-horse-manure-and-bl@@dy-expensive-if-you-can-find-any surface discharge plug. They are prone to cold-fouling too. This surface discharge plug had a non-adjustable gap of about 1 mm.Recommended plug now is NGK C8E for normal riding, or C9E for the heroes. Also CR8E, CR8EK, etc., and any brand equivalents.These are all conventional 10mm x 3/4" reach earth electrode types with the gap set to 0.6 - 0.7 mm.In a comparative test, admittedly on a Commander, life of such a plug was around 30,000 miles (with gap adjustments as the electrodes eroded).I would be interested to see that ballast resistor to find out why it failed. It was new two years ago.R.
TRIDENT

Post by TRIDENT »

Wire in resistor burnt out have save old one so willbring to you one day.Regards David
TRIDENT

Re: Discharge plugs

Post by TRIDENT »

Was speaking with a old police commander owner on a D reg usingdischarge plugs,so can he use c8e instead he was concernedabout tip length to rotor clearance.Regards David
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

David,UG80PV surface discharge was the only factory-approved plug for the air-cooled engines and was specified for the Commander water-cooled too. Feedback from police customers was that the UG80 plug fouled too easily as the water-cooled engine ran much lower temperatures. A change was made to the normal C8E type and a Service Release issued to formally change the plug type.All water-cooled engines should be using the C8E type of plug, including F1 and F1 Sport.The UG80PV plug was originally developed by Champion in the USA for racing two-stroke hydroplane engines. Its length is actually 7/8" and all rotor housings, both air and watercooled, are designed to accept that plug. Fitting a C8E type of plug with 3/4" reach means that the spark is actually recessed up the hole away from the rotor, but it doesn't seem to matter.At one stage, there was a proposal to alter the water-cooled housing machining so that the spark was nearer to the rotor, but it didn't get past the question "What happens if an owner fits a UG80 plug by mistake?" The result would have been a wrecked engine as the protruding end of the plug would have been hit by the rotor.I did try a projected-nose plug, CP8E I think, but the earth electrode just touched the apex seal and closed the gap. An extra washer would have fixed that - but forget to replace the extra washer and you have a badly running engine.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Looking at the photo of the Classic reminded me of how mine used to look many thousands of miles ago wink.Merry christmas to all our members and safe rotoring in 2016,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

[img]
fig-4.jpg
[/img]OK. How about this?CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

PS: This from SAE 930682, "Development of a Lightweight Heavy Fuel Rotary Engine", Len Louthan, AAI Corp.CW
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Do's that translate to a "diesel rotary"? surely not,diesels rely on compresion to ignite(about 22:5 to1 I think)so if not diesel what is "Heavy Oil?J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

It used a Glow Plug. The original idea was to use a Turbocharger, an Aerodyne. Eventually they found a good match with a (Custom Built?) model 53000. They wound up with a lot of non-Turbo work looking at generators rather than drones.This was a fun SAE Paper. The Paper does reference Norton Motors. Maybe Crighton? Maybe Richard. Halllooooooo...?CWPS: Some of this duplicates Mazda Research using the same Injector Layout. Mazda examined the use of a Pre-Chamber for the Pilot Injector. Nonetheless, the Norton WAS used as a test bed. Very nice to think about...
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Here's the Mazda work, SAE 930677, "A Study of a Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge Rotary Engine for Motor Vehicle Application"CW