Commander hot rear wheel

paulwolf

Commander hot rear wheel

Post by paulwolf »

After a run on my L reg Commander i have noticed that the rear wheel,tyre and brake caliper are very hot,i have had the caliper off and cleaned the pistons and it is all free and not binding,the rear chain is not tight and the rear wheel turns freely.Is this normal?Thanks Paul
Joe

Re: Commander hot rear wheel

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, The rear wheel consists of three bearings, two in the wheel it's self and one mounted in the drive flange and there is another bearing in the sprocket carrier. The right hand bearing and left hand / drive flange bearings in the wheel are avaiable form most bearing suppliers but the centre bearing is different to standard so only available from Yamaha or ANL Part No. 93302-20306. Do you have access to a non contact digital thermometer? If you take temperature reading from various positions I'll compare them to my bike which is used daily. My rear disc gets warm to the touch but not too hot, it's an EBC aftermarket part and thicker than standard but the caliper is also free. I have always been surprised how hot tyres get after a run but I've never noticed a wheel warming up perhaps I've just never checked. Regards, Joe.
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

Hi Joe,Thanks for the reply,i don`t have a thermometer as you described but i have also checked the bearings not long ago when i had the tyre changed,i dont know if its the heat from the exhaust making it all hot.Thanks Paul
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, Another thought occurred to me today on my way home from work and this is from first hand experience on my F1 Sport. If the white metal bearing (or DU bush, I think) is worn on the rear caliper mounting plate it may allow enough play for the caliper body to just touch the disc which will gerenate heat and expand and therfore make greater contact with the disc and thus more heat. This is what happened to my F1 Sport due to a badly aligned caliper mounting plate, it actually stopped the bike completely and I coudn't move it until it had cooled down. The caliper was red hot along with the disc. I was on my way to visit our very own Mr Cameron and luckily for me I stopped outside a fellow bike enthusiast's home just around the corner who invited me in but my Mum has warned me about people like him. I've since replaced the bracket but have noticed this isn't perfect either and very close on one side to the disc. Also, the rear caliper on my Commander is much closer to the disc on the inside than the outside so some sort of misalignment somewhere. Regards, Joe.
paulwolf

Post by paulwolf »

Hi Joe,I will check that bush and i have noticed that my caliper in also not central with the disc,looking at it from the rear it seems to want to come over to the right (or outside),i had to remove the anti squeal plate to get the new pad in.Cheers Paul