RE5 Ownership

Interpol2471

RE5 Ownership

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi All If one is thinking of buying a RE5 what are the things to look out for especially if the bike has not been run for a few years but was in good working condition when stored?Thanks in advance.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Charles Wilson

Re: RE5 Ownership

Post by Charles Wilson »

http://re5rotary.proboards.com/Lotsa' info for you there. 1st: Start with a compression check. Then: Follow the threads. The engine was licensed from NSU and was a variation of the universal KKM-502. The carburetor is a Solex design licensed to Mikuni. Suzuki stretched the GT-750 frame a little and solid mounted the engine. The RE-5 was the best handling big Japanese bike 'til the modern era.I had the RE-5 A model which, after the terrible sales of the first year, was a slightly modified version, removing the headlight nacelle and "strange" design turn signals, etc. It was a wonderful machine for me. I had great fun abusing the thing.Most people are really after the 1975 RE-5 M model but the A model gets my vote. Either way, if you get one, you'll have a helluva good time.Sign up on the board and introduce yourself.CW
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, I agree with Charles, an excellent forum you'll learn a lot about owning and running these machines. There are a number of members here in UK. I have two RE5 M's in the shed waiting to be put back on the road, one difinitely has a knackered engine but otherwise is in excellent condition and the other has a good engine but poor paint and chrome. I've got another RE5 also an M model on its way from the States some time in the next few weeks, should give me plenty of spares and hopefully a good engine. Plenty were laid up because owners couldn't keep them running well or fix them if the broke down. They are un-necessarily complicated for a single rotor machine. For example they have 5 controls cables to the carburettor and two sets of points amounst other perculiarities. Regards, Joe.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Thanks I think it needs exhaust heat trims and the blue cover over the instruments for a start are these available?
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Paul, That's an M model then too. I think the blue screens are still available from America via Jess. He bought the entire stock of RE5 and DKW / Hercules spares from the late Sam Costanzo of Rotary Recycle fame. Jess has now closed the company but can often help with spares. If you do get time to join the RE 5 forum you will come across Jess very quickly. Often exhaust shields come up on internet auction sites but at least one of our members on this site has plenty of spares acquired from 30 something years of ownership. I'll contact him and put him in touch with you if you like? A spark plug adaptor is a must and available from R.O.C. which allows the use of modern spark plugs but DON'T overtighten it otherwise it will destroy the rotor housing. Regards, Joe.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

And while you're checking for compression Paul, don't assume that just because the kickstarter is extremely stiff and heavy, it means that it must be great; they are all like that I am afraid .... even my featherlight 17 st barely shifts it!!Maybe a few Q&As to the owner to find out a little of its history, and why it was laid up in the first place?DC