Norton Classic Spotted

Jeff mcCoy

Norton Classic Spotted

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Went to a British motorcycle event at Lake Cachuma Campground this past weekend, about 120 people in attendance here in California. Lots of nice bikes, people and events. Weather was mid 70's during the day. Breakfast lunch and dinner served all three days of the event. Part of the event was a tour of the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum owned by Virgil Elings, inventor of the electron microscope. His collection is over the top, he likes rare limited production bikes. So of course he now has a Norton Classic, number 100. I had heard one was there, so now it is confirmed. I spoke with Virgil, he had it prepped, and rode it 20 miles to the current 45 miles showing. Bike is in great shape, nice to have one on display where the public can see it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interpol2471

Re: Norton Classic Spotted

Post by Interpol2471 »

The last Norton ??Thats a very bold statement lol
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

I was waiting for someone to comment on that.Jeff
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff,There have been several claims about the 'last Norton'. Classic #100, for example, was completed on 23rd August 1988 and quite a few of the batch were built after. "LE" numbers were allocated at time of order whereas gearbox numbers are sequential at time of actual build. Hence LE100 had gearbox 477 and, as far as I can see, the last LE gearbox might have been 498 fitted to LE005 completed on 23rd September 1988. I say 'might' because Commander 4006 also is recorded as having gearbox 498.There is also the suggestion that two more Classics were built at the factory after the 100 batch were completed. I've no idea of the numbers, and there is certainly no trace of these in the production register.There are two Commanders in the US that are said also to be the last, both completed in 1993. But, the Shenstone Service Department assembled a Commander to special order for a regular UK customer during 1995.The last F1 Sport, actually badged as a TT, was 050366,completed on 18th October 1992, and delivered to Germany.There is another TT, 050369, which was assembled from new parts by Norton Motors Deutschland in 1993.The last factory-built Norton rotary is in fact #4309, a white Commander Krauser completed in February 1995.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!