NEW NORTON AGAIN !

Steve Gee

NEW NORTON AGAIN !

Post by Steve Gee »

Another story on MCN website today, also check out nortonracing.com the guy seems quite serious to me but only time will tell. Must admit with all the doom and gloom about it doesn`t seem the best time for a venture like this
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

pistons and rotaries

Post by Derek Nicol »

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... rton-boss/\r\rSo it looks like theyve bought Kenny Dreers piston engined Commando along with the Norton name and aim to put it into production as well as the rotaries.\rAnd a date for the diary - June 19th 2009 Donington Park.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Re: NEW NORTON AGAIN !

Post by Derek Nicol »

Steve Gee wrote:also check out nortonracing.com
\r\rIve just seen the press release...\rhttp://nortonracing.com/press/Norton-comes-home.html
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

The press release is also reproduced on the Donington Park website...\rhttp://www.donington-park.co.uk/media/p ... ews_id=333
Peterpinkbike

Cuckoo land

Post by Peterpinkbike »

Some people shouldn't be allowed out without a grown-up !\rFirst to publicise a new rotary in production in 2009, now a new Commando as well. Whatever next, flying cars ? Oops - we've been there before, I believe.\rAs an ex-Commando owner, I looked at progress of the US prototype, thought the cycle parts looked gorgeous but the motor as ugly as a Harldey, flat-slide carbs, virtually no silencing and thought 'several years yet'.\rThat was three years ago and nothing has happened since - except it got mothballed.\rI think not !
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

I, for one, am not too bothered if the first new bikes appear in 2009 or 2010 or even 2011... just so long as they do appear. What i dont want to hear in a couple of years is Norton have run out of money AGAIN!! \rThe Commando is great news, the rotary is a niche market product. \rEven the mighty Mazda tried and failed to sell only rotaries, eventually having to conseed that Mr & Mrs Average know and trust the Piston engine and dont wish to risk a Rotary given the reputation bestowed upon it by the NSU RO80.\rHow Production ready the Commando is, i dont know, im no engineer. Maybe it will take a couple of years, better that than rush out something that isnt fully developed.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Norton Motorcycles

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

This press release was emailed to me today - the'new' Norton company seems based in Gloucestershire - not Derbyshire as I would have assumed.\rDC\r___________________________________________________\r\rNorton Comes Home!!!\r\rFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Derby UK 15th October 2009 \rAfter nearly fifteen years of US ownership, Norton, the quintessential and most famous of British motorcycle brands returns home.\r\rAs a result of prolonged negotiations and a multi-million pound deal we can announce that the Norton motorcycle brand is, at last, back in caring British hands. \r\rStuart Garner a UK based businessman and owner of Norton Racing Ltd has bought back all the trademarks and development work relating to the Norton, Manx, Atlas, Commando and Dominator brands. \r\rNorton Racing Ltd is already in development of a new rotary engined race bike and now with the ownership of the brand itself plans are being developed to introduce a new road bike for 2009.\r\r‘This has been a challenging and exciting period for us’ Commented Garner ‘We are proud to have brought the brands back home and we now intend to focus on re-establishing Norton as a premier motorcycling brand across the World’ he added.\r\rIn the early nineties the brands were bought by Norton Motorcycles Inc in the USA with the view of developing a new Commando road bike for the US market. Nearly $10 million was spent on IP, design and development, and this development work has formed part of the new deal. The investment can now be brought to bear on the new global project for the Norton Commando 961.\r\rNorton intend to develop a strong presence on the track and on the road during 2009 with a new 15000 sq foot factory and office complex based at Donington Park - Norton are at the heart of motorcycle racing once again and committed to investment to make the initiative work.\r\r\r \r\r\r\r\r\rAs well as creating a new ‘state of the art’ road bike the Norton brands will see a vigourous licensing programme through Norton Global Brands to safeguard and develop licensing of all kinds from spare parts to clothing. \rCommenting on the programme Garner said ‘Our trade marks and brand have incredible strength and value, we will strongly enforce our position as the new owners of these world famous brands and ensure our new partners benefit from a robust protection programme going forward’. \r\r‘This is the beginning of a new and exciting era in a brand that was started over 100 years ago by James Lansdowne Norton. It has sustained ups and downs over the years but still stands for performance and excellence. These will be the standards we live by from now on’ stated Garner.\r\r-ends\r-\rFor further information contact:-\r\rTony Norton, Norton Press Office, 01608 812830\r\rNote to Ed’s\rFurther information can be found on www.nortonmotorcycles.com \r www.nortonracing.com \r\rStuart Garner will be available for interview by appointment.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

New Norton Company

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

UPDATE: It is Stuart Garner's PR company which is based in Gloucestershire, not Norton Racing. It's confusing - and a coincidence - that the PR company happens to be called 'Norton' too .....\r\rNorton & Company\r6b Wychwood Court\rLondon Road\rMoreton in Marsh\rGlos\rGL56 0JQ\r\rTel : 01608 812830
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Stuart Garner - ‘It’s a commercial venture but Norton doesn’t have to support itself by making money – my other companies can do that for the time being’.\rExcellent! It looks like we’ve got what we’ve all been waiting for, a ‘John Bloor’ for Norton.\rBut unlike John Bloor, this guy is a Bike rider... ‘He started riding motorcycles when he was a teenager and has owned a long list of Yamaha LC250’s and LC350’s, a Suzuki RGV250, Kawasaki GPZ600R and a Yamaha RG500’.\rStuart Garner - ‘I remember watching Trevor Nation and Steve Spray on the Rotary Nortons at Donington when I was a teenager – they were fantastic to watch’.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Surprising lack of comment! 73 members (not including the spammers) and virtually no discussion. :? \rI assume that everyone has read this weeks Motorcycle News. Now i know that MCNs journalism is often akin to The Daily Sport but reading between the lines i, for one, am hopeful that this is for real. \rEveryone must have an opinion, just remember that they are only that... opinions, please, lets keep it respectful.
Steve Gee

Post by Steve Gee »

I must admit that my initial excitement has died down a bit, first reports spoke of a new range of rotaries but now it seems like a race replica and a range of naked commando twins is what we might get,in the MCN article Stuart Garner describes his aim as high value niche machines and boutique bikes ! Personally I was hoping for a modern useable rotary to replace my IP2, In 30 years of biking it`s the nearest to the perfect bike for my everday commute ( 4 A.M last week with the heated grips on BLISS) and can still enjoy riding it at the weekend. I do hope the new venture success, but unless they build a motorbike rather than a play thing they won`t be getting my hard earned.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Steve Gee wrote:I do wish the new venture success, but unless they build a motorbike rather than a play thing they won`t be getting my hard earned.
\rThats the world we live in im afraid, the vast majority of bikes in the UK are leisure toys not everyday transport.\rI fear the rotary will only ever be a niche market product (eg the RX8). Unfortunately, the good old piston engine has become so highly developed now that virtually all theoretical advantages that the rotary may have had have been eliminated. Japanese bike engines are now so light and compact and smooth and rev so high and make so much power that any new rotary can only aspire to try to be as good but is highly unlikely to ever be any better... \rbut! no piston engine will EVER sound as good as an unsilenced rotary!!! :D lets hope the new NRV588 road bikes are supplied with race pipes that the lucky owners can swop to between MOTs.
whiffling clara

More new Nortons

Post by whiffling clara »

I think the lack of comment reflects the low number of people who use the website. Of those who do then I think a fair number belong to the older generation who have read it all before are are waiting for it to actually happen.\rI am wondering what will be announced next.\rFirst it was new Rotaries to be in production Spring 2009 and now "Commandos" in production late 2009.\rWhen these targets are not achieved then what will be the next announcment ??\rThe press release speaks of the new company buying the rights to "Manx". My information is that this lies with Andy Molnar. There is mention (in MCN i think) of the new company buying up Andover Norton - definately not so.\rToo much hype and not enough substance.
The older I get the faster I was
whiffling clara

Sounds

Post by whiffling clara »

"No piston engine will ever sound as good as an unsilenced rotary".\rIn my opinion the rotary does not even come close to the Honda 250 and 297 sixes.\rThe Hondas sound refined - the rotary sounds uncouth by comparison.\rAnd then of course there is the Rolls Royce Merlin. I was priveliged to watch a Spitfire being "shown off" whilst being filmed. Not your average pass down the runway at an air display. This was full throttle, very low altitude, 50 feet above your head stuff. Now that was a noise.[/quote]
The older I get the faster I was
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Well as a new member I find this all a worry :( First I hear Norton Motors is closing or for sale and then people are saying this forum has no future.. What next? I always wanted a rotor and now I have one I am worried I will have to sell before its dead and buried :oops: Come on someone have some good news :D \r\rI am keen to see any Brit bike on the road and I hope the new Nortons make it there whenever.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

whiffling clara wrote:There is mention (in MCN i think) of the new company buying up Andover Norton - definately not so...
I cant comment on inaccuracies in the Norton press release but inaccuracies printed in MCN are entirely to be expected
whiffling clara wrote:the rotary sounds uncouth...
Good innit!
whiffling clara wrote:And then of course there is the Rolls Royce Merlin.
That’s cheating! I would love to hear a 27 litre, 12 rotor wankel.
Interpol2471 wrote:I find this all a worry...Come on someone have some good news
\rThe good news is (in my experience so far) that the Interpol 2 is extremely reliable.
Steve Gee

Post by Steve Gee »

The good news is (in my experience so far) that the Interpol 2 is extremely reliable.
I`ll second that, only owned mine for eighteen months and apart from a couple of electrical faults ( quickly sorted with advice and parts from Graham at Startrights) has been a reliable and practicle everyday bike.\r Maybe thats why the forum is so quiet, pages full of problems and querries would surely be bad news !
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have got to say it's one of the best bikes I have ever owned, and they have been many and varied. Mine seems mechanically good but cosmetically challenged ie. fairing abuse and wooden rear seat :oops: \rMy wish list of parts is getting very long and I guess expensive too. :( \r\rOh and the sound :twisted:
wust588

Post by wust588 »

I'll be as respectful as I can.\rI too read the MCN "Norton comeback" report. \rI think anybody who has any sort of affection for the Norton name, and is mindful of what's gone on in the last 20 years or so, can be forgiven for thinking that here we have another nutty proposal.\rWho do they ( and MCN included ) think they are kidding?\rYes, I want the Norton motorcycles to be built again, but not like this.\rDreamers.
graham

Post by graham »

I have to second that; No-one wants a Norton Rotary comeback more than I do. It's been my life for the last 20 years. \rI'm not sure that Mr J.L.Norton would be too pleased about it but whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Mr J.Seifert has made it his lifes work to own the rights to use the Norton name and he's done a good job convincing people. I would certainly not argue with him! Norton Racing look to have made a terrible blunder by suggesting they can use the name. Or perhaps there is something I don't know. \rNow the American elections are out of the way, it'll surely be front page news before long.....http://www.nortonmotors.co.uk/news.htm
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

http://www.nortonmotors.co.uk/news.htm\rLaw Firms at twenty paces then?\rIm a bit puzzled by the statement that the rights to the Norton Rotary have never been owned by anyone outside Europe... didnt the Canadians own it? Dont shoot me down in flames, im only asking, i find it very confusing with all the different owners of various bits in different countries.\rClearly Kenny Dreer had acquired the right to use the Norton name for piston powered bikes which he sold on to Stuart Garner. I, for one, think that a return to manufacturing of quality bikes (not chinese mopeds) bearing the Norton name has to be a good thing even if they are piston powered. \rI think it would be a great shame if they were not able to also produce a new rotary model.\rWhat would be the situation if they made a competely new wankel design which didnt share any parts with the 1990's engine? would they be free to do that? (however unlikely) or is it the production of any rotary engined bike with the Norton badge that Norton Motors claim to own the rights to?\r :? :?: :? :?: :?
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

click here for a full explanation from Richard Negus...\rrotating/viewtopic.php?t=147\rIn short... Norton was still a UK company when the Canadians owned it.\rStuart Garner now owns all the rights to the Norton scroll logo (Seifert sold it to Dreer a few years ago). \rGarner & Crighton would be able to produce a new rotary Norton provided that the engine was significantly different from the Norton Rotary engines of the 1990s.\rHope ive got that right.
rotaryart

Post by rotaryart »

Well Stuart is obviously no mug, as he is running a company that all on here will probably only ever dream of, I hope he is as good as the Mags say he is and brings home a range of Norton's (especially rotary) that will make everyone proud to own one again.Saying that I have written to him and have never received a reply, so I only hope is not typical of most manufacturers and too busy to talk to small business's that are interested in his products.
Regards\nGary\nRotaryArt & RoTechniks
rotaryart

Post by rotaryart »

Does anyone know what engine the new Norton intend to run if they have to be different from the existing engine??
Regards\nGary\nRotaryArt & RoTechniks
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

rotaryart wrote:Does anyone know what engine the new Norton intend to run if they have to be different from the existing engine??
Absolutely no idea what they have planned but... With Brian Crighton as the brains behind any Rotary they might produce you can be sure it wont be a lash up or re-hash of something half baked. If its not exceptionally well engineered then it wont be made at all.