Norton issues

David Brown

Norton issues

Post by David Brown »

Hi all,It seemed like a good idea at the time. Problem number 1.On my Rotary Cafe Racer the stainless exhaust collector box under the engine acquired a big dent from the top of a scaffold plank when loading into a van. I removed the exhaust and found a local fabricator to remove rivets and remove dent and re-rivet. He did a good job on the dent removal, but after several hundred miles the exhaust started blowing quite badly and the rivets became loose. It turns out the engineer had removed the stainless rivets and replaced them with aluminium rivets. Not good on a hot rotary. I couldn't cope with the blowing any longer. I have removed the exhaust, giving it a good polish and then replacing the aluminum rivets. Problem number 2.My gearbox 4th gear has developed a really bad sort of loud rattle/clattering noise. Only in 4th though. If I short shift from 4th to 5th it is less noticeable. 5th is beautifully smooth and quiet. Any ideas how serious a problem I have got? I am hoping to make the Fleet Lions bike show on 5th May and Kempton Park Bike show on 24th May on my Norton and not on a trailer. I could write off June by removing engine and getting gearbox rebuilt. Does anyone have a spare 4th gear? I guess a spare gearbox would be unavailable or hellish expensive.Any help much appreciated.David
Richard Negus

Re: Norton issues

Post by Richard Negus »

David Brown wrote: Only in 4th though.
Sad to say, but it sounds like 4th is past it's best. That's the engine out to have a look.You may be lucky and find that only mainshaft 4th gear is damaged; I think new ones are available for Andover Norton or Graham might have good used ones.If you're unlucky, 4th layshaft will also be damaged - and that's part of the layshaft assembly and not available as a separate gear. Worse still, Andover don't have new layshaft assemblies, so only Graham or the Forum can help.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
David Brown

Re: Norton issues

Post by David Brown »

Hi Richard,Many thanks for the reply.I haven't had many offers of spares from other Rotary Owners. Graham has some 4th gears and shafts. I haven't tried Andover Norton for a price yet. It may be worth a call.I just hope to get through May with a couple of rides.Then out it comes. I'll let you know if anything looks bent, worn or twisted in the gearbox.Many thanksDavid