RE5 Points and ignition

screw

RE5 Points and ignition

Post by screw »

Further to my requests for help on my RE5.As I have been notified if you have an RE5M the carb settings (port valve timing change) may have been done at the factory to convert it to an RE5A which runs on one set of points. If its an RE5L, which I believe only went to USA, you will need to change most of the carb settings.So to lose the extra set of points A: unplug the speed relay and remove, no rewiring is necessary. B: Remove vacuum switch, block off inlet manifold carb end where vacuum pipe was removed. C: Remove the most rearest set of points and cut off or remove all wiring being careful not to damage the wiring to the remaining set of points. D: Run with he same spark plug as an RE5a. Job Done!If you have problems with your ignition, as in CDI unit, you can throw the unit away and get one from Boyer Bransden Electronics Ltd, details of company on the Internet. You will need CDI unit 00069 and coil 5. You need to replace the coil as the whole ignition system works in reverse to the original genuine system.You will need to take a feed from the orange/white wire after the kill switch to the positive side of the coil and a white wire to the unit 00069 feed. Then from the negative side of the coil which connects to the blue wire on the unit 0069. The black wire from the unit 00069 connects to the points you have left as an earthing basis. The black to the unit 00069 goes to earth.This all works perfectly as the person who gave me the information has done it himself as well, thank you to Lee Doxley.On another subject can anyone tell me where I can find a carrier to fit my RE5? Would one off a GT750 fit?
I get by with a little help from my friends\r\n\r\nSteve
ziggystardust

Post by ziggystardust »

Hi Steve,\r\rSorry but I can't take the credit for originally setting up the BB electronic ignition system on my RE5A, it was already installed in my bike when I got it, I just gave you the information about it and how well it works.\r\rI'm confused regarding your second paragraph about the carb settings, I know there are some minor changes in the carb between M and A models but I was unaware of any port valve timing changes. Also is the RE5L a typing error as I have not heard of this model?\r\rI think you would be best to ask RotaryRecycle about the carrier.\r\rLee.
ziggystardust

Post by ziggystardust »

Hi Steve,\rJust had a look at my service manual and you are correct there are some minor differences regarding the angle set up between M and A models.\r\rLee.
screw

Post by screw »

Hi\r\rAll new settings are as the Service Bulletin RE9 which may not be the same as some workshop manuals.\r\rThe 'L' model was for the USA only and went out in 1974. These were then recalled for modifications to the carburettor. These were available in Silver as well as the standard Blue & Red. These bikes were rushed into production to get in first before Yamaha.\r\rIn 1975 we then got the 'M' model here and in 1976 the 'A' model.\r\rIn amendment to my 1st post the timing should be 5 deg TDC.
ziggystardust

Post by ziggystardust »

Hi,\r\rI knew Suzuki originally called their rotary bike the RX5 then changed it to RE5 but the RE5L is a new one on me.\r\rIn the later specifications for the A model as listed.\r RE5A ...............................................................RE5\rPrimary main jet #87.5..... #90\r\rPort valve opening timing\r(as primary throttle shaft angle) 35 deg...... 41 deg.\r\rAccelerating pump timing\r(as primary throttle shaft angle) 28 deg...... 30 deg.\r\rAccelerating pump capacity\r(cc/stroke) 0.7..... 0.5\r\rIgnition timing 5 deg. B.T.D.C...... 10 deg. B.T.D.C.\r\rContact gap specification 0.016"/0.020"..... 0.018"\r\rOn my A model I have tried running the ignition timing at both 5 and 10 deg. B.T.D.C., 5 deg. seems to run lumpier at tick over but smoother at high rev but a bit less power, 10 deg. has the opposite, I run at 5.\r\rAny specification details regarding the A model are written later in the New Model Technical Bulletin RE5A than bulletin RE-9 that was pre A model.\r\rLee.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

RE5 Carrier

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

My RE5 has a early Krauser metal rack and pannier mountings; I would think Ebay would be a good place to look.\r\rDC
screw

RE5 models

Post by screw »

Hi \r\rFurther to my info above go to suzukicycles.org, search for RE5 and it will show all RE5 models built including the 'L' model.\r\rSteve 8)