Recommendation for Electronic Ignition

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Recommendation for Electronic Ignition

Post by Anthony Duffield »

P53 Commander water cooled.My Boyer ignition works, however I would like to carry a spare box, ballast, coils and trigger. I have searched the site but cannot find any reference to a system that is a direct fit and perhaps better than what I already have.I would be grateful for a recommendation for the make and type of a proven system.Many thanksTony
Wayne

Re: Recommendation for Electronic Ignition

Post by Wayne »

Gahams digital ignition will replace the boyer, however the retard curve will be differant to the boyer so tick over will need adjusting.Andver Nortons Digital ignition is not a straight forward swap, coils, pickup must also be swapedRing Graham at Startright, Andover can be contacted either by phone ore email.I have both types of ignition, both are ok, note you must re use the conectors on grahams box, andovers comes with a loom and fitting instructionsRegards Wayne
gripper

Post by gripper »

I can recommend Startright's digital ignition and it should fit as a direct replacement. I had to do some rewiring to fit to an IP2 but it was worth it. I sent it back to the guy who makes them for testing when I had a problem. He ran it for 24 hours "no fault found," turned out to be the trigger unit. It also features a clever hot start advance for 25 revs, neat.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

If it has not already been done, relocate your Boyer black box up in the nose cone in a cool breeze. Also relocate the voltage regulator somewhere cool. I have put mine near the rear brake resevoir.Shenstone put these two units in the least favourable location for there good health. Very hot & poorly ventilated. Guaranteed to kill them.Derek F.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I agree with Del Boy,relocating the IgnBox away from the VR is a must,even more so on Classics,I don't think Shenstone could have sited them in a worse location ,I had three of each on mine in 47,000 miles, evil,needless to say the VR has since been relocated to somewhere cooler and away from the Ign/Box (can't comment on IP2's,never owned one,)rgds,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Excellent feedback, thanks to all for your recommendations.Incidentally the black box for the ignition has been relocated to the nose cone, it has been tye wrapped to the headstock, the voltage regulator is located inside the nose cone to the left of the head stock bolted on to two of the bolts connecting the nose cone to the fuel tank fairing.Thanks again for all your suggestions.Tony
berry_jr

Post by berry_jr »

Hi Tony you can purchse the box direct from http://minimagneto.co.uk/Norton-Rotary.phpOn a Commander you only need change the ignition unit itself, different story for a standard Interpol. John
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

John,Many thanks for the information.RegardsTony