Commando exhaust queries

rjg30091982

Commando exhaust queries

Post by rjg30091982 »

Evening All,Can anyone tell me if a 750 exhaust manifold will fit an 850? i've read in places it can and others saying it can't?The reason i ask is i am struggling to find stainless exhaust manifolds for my Interpol Commando, I need straight manifolds for the Police model so the panniers fit best, not the upswepts. These seem to be as rare as hens teeth no where supplies them. Armours seem to have alot of good exhausts but not the Interpol.http://www.andover-norton.co.uk/NCInterpol.htm (look at the top interpol)The fastback "R" seems to have similar exhausts as well but again no one supplies them?http://www.andover-norton.co.uk/NCRModel.htmany advice is appreciated, my Police commando currently has upswepts and this means you have to higher the panniers and to be honest the bike looks weird with high panniers so i have to locate these exhausts but they have to be stainless! I'm too lazy to polish anything!thanksRuss
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
Richard Negus

Re: Commando exhaust queries

Post by Richard Negus »

Russ,The position of the exhaust ports and the footrest plates is exactly the same on all Commando models, meaning you can fit any exhaust system to any style variant.There are variations of fixings into the cylinder head, and most 850's originally had a balance pipe in front of the cylinder head (it held the pipe up when the flange fractured off)ANIL stock the original low-level Fastback system, with Dominator-style silencers and brackets to suit - but not in stainless.You might also look at the 'cigar' type of 750 Interstate low level system designed specifically to suit panniers and also used on the Interpol. These silencers are different to the traditional pea-shooter type but, to the best of my knowledge, not available in stainless either.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I was under the impression that the only British bike manufacturer to fit stainless exhausts were Norton, on rotories,not on any other of their models,but I expect my assumption is wrong,J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

For a police Commando I reckon the 750 interstate pipes would be correct. The Mk 3 electric start Commandos have a collet arrangement at the cylinder head. The balance pipe on any Commando is troublesome and stainless steel pipes will go bronze coloured after a bit of hard use. That can be polished out again.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Russ,These are the pictures I was looking for earlier, both from brochures.The Interpol is shown at Thruxton, fitted with pipes like the 750 Interstate and peashooters. Big problem - how to get the rear wheel spindle out without removing the r/h silencer? I don't think that combination got as far as production.The Interstate has pipes that lower the cigar silencers to allow removal of the spindle. This is how all 750 Interstates were produced and I'm fairly sure that 750 Interpols from '72 on were the same. Before that, it had the horizontal Dominator/Fastback style pipes and silencers
Interpol1of2.jpg
Interpol2of2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi RichardThanks for the advice,So the ones I want then are the red commando exhausts, who are ANIL? Maybe I will have to get chrome then, armours have stainless but not the manifolds for the straight exhaust.ThanksRuss
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Andover Norton International Ltd at, surprisingly, Andover in Hampshirewww.andover-norton.co.uk01264 359 565
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Ah I never heard it called that before, makes sense now!I will send Phil an Email and get some of those exhausts then, Cheer Richard.I want to finish the Commando Interpol and my Mk3 off now the rotaries are finished and hopefully take one of the Commandos to the TT in August, have the tickets booked now just cant decide on the bike!thanksRuss
gripper

Post by gripper »

Going to the TT? are you made of money?
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

gripper wrote:Going to the TT? are you made of money?
Until Feb yes! Then its good buy tax free Merchant navy career and back to foot patrol Policing the quiet streets of Devon for a pittance!Richard, have spoken to Phil will order some this week, thanks for the advice, hopefully the Interpol or Mk3 will be at the TT this year. I shall be going up in a group of about 10 of us, Rob Rendle is taking his IP2 so probably he will twist my arm to take a rotary!thanks All!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

If you go to the T.T. in August you will have missed it!!! Perhaps the Manx is what you meant. A different kettle of fish to the T.T. altogether.Derek Fox.
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

Richard cleared everything up anyway, but a look at Andover Norton International Ltd's (internal name "ANIL") should clear all the bits up that one needs for the various exhaust systems we do for Commandos: http://www.andover-norton.co.uk/SI%20Ex ... ems.htmThe "SS" exhaust pipes will be available in spring, then we have all the systems with all the little bits and pieces to fit them back in stock- for the first time in about 35 years I think.
gripper

Post by gripper »

Dell, Is not the MGP going to be re-named the Classic TT?
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Yes Gripper, a couple of "CLASSIC" races have been given the nomenclature "T.T." but to me it should still be the amateur race always known as the Manx," The Friendly Races".No top pro racers, just the amateur boys digging deep into there own pockets to race the "Manx" circuit once a year.This year, due to bad weather affecting the amount of practice available some amateurs struggled to qualify because the "T.T." classes hogged the available practice.There were 35 Honda K2`s in the 350 Classic T.T. Total yawn as they went by one after another. I dont remember any of these Honda`s racing when I rode a AJS 7R in the 350 c.c. open class in the early 70`s. Yamaha, Norton, Greeves, Aermachi, Ducati but no Honda twins!!Derek F.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Bet you wish you still had that 7R Dell wink J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Dont I just John. I tried to sell it for £250 in 1972 but no takers as single cylinder/classic racing hadn`t been inaugerated & against the air & water cooled Yamaha`s it was totally uncompetitive. I used to ride it on the road occassionally but ended up swapping it for a very nice ex. race bike 500 c.c. Triton with a Colin Lyster twin disc front end. This was road registered unlike the Ajay.Then single cylinder racing got going & old racing singles became desirable & the values started to climb. Too late for me though. Loads of bikes I wish I still had but of course I sold them on to fund the next purchase at the time.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Thanks all, especially Richard for the advice on the interpol, I have bought 2 exhausts from ANIL so when i am home in Jan i should have them fitted and get the interplod on the road soon after i hope I! Bought a few bits and pieces to finish off my MK3 as well! Never again will i think its a good idea to strip down a bike! its taken me since Sept 2009 to get the MK3 back on the road and its still not any where near finished!Gripper I have no idea what i am going to i just know i am going to the IOM in August! maybe its just a traction engine rally! Rob rendle organised it i just paid for my ticket! i thought the TT and Classic was the same thing one after the other? we are going for a week.Hope to get my bikes out to shows in 2014 with both rotaries now fully rebuilt and me moving back to the UK to work i hope to finally get out to some meets!thanksRuss
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

T.T. is held at the beginning of June & is infested with seriously fast bikes & particularly fast, very brave riders. Best free entertainment available in the world. Real scary stuff to watch.Derek Fox.