I need help with my RE5 Ignition please

screw

I need help with my RE5 Ignition please

Post by screw »

Hi All\r\rMy name is Steve and I recently joined the club.\r\rI am doing up an RE5 and I need some help though with ignition problems.\r\rI have gone through the system and checked wiring and put back where it belongs and all connections look good and also the previous owner said he had put a new CDI unit on. I am now trying to set the ignition timing.\r\rOn turning the key I have found there is a humming from the CDI unit, a reading on the twin lobe points but no reading on the single points (should there be unless it is running and decelerating?) and I do not have a spark at the plug until I turn the ignition off and then there is a discharge spark (should there be?)\r\rCan anyone help please?\r\rI have also been advised to change to running on one set of points but have no info on this, does anyone have the info and does anyone know if this would cure the problem (Apparently the info about the points is in the RE5a Service Manual? If so do you have and can you email please? My manual only covers the right early model as printed in 1974)\r\rBest Regards\rSteve\r
I get by with a little help from my friends\r\n\r\nSteve
ziggystardust

Post by ziggystardust »

Hi Steve,\rRotaryRecycle, roughly £4 plus postage. :wink: \r\r8. RE-5A \r-- Special dealer booklet showing new specs and improvements for the 1976 model and a comparison of 1975 to 1976 features; also tips on handling, checking, and adjustment of carburetor \rNew $25.00 \rUsed $15.00 \rQuality Reprint $8.00 \r\rZiggy.