NRV588 race dates announced

Derek Nicol
Site Admin

NRV588 race dates announced

Post by Derek Nicol »

According to Classic Bike magazine the NRV has been tested by Steve Spray and Ian Simpson. Its first public 'on track' showing will be at the Festival of 1000 at Mallory Park on Sunday 15th July (along with five of the original bikes).Provisional plans are to race the NRV at the Stars of Darley 30th Sept and Mallory Race of the year 21st Oct.
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

Well Peeps, the weather was not very kind, and the updated Norton had not been run by the time we left, around 15.30. The old racing rotaries did a good few laps in the wet, with one brave soul pulling wheelies down the start/finish straight every lap. The bikes were warmed-up in the paddock in the usual fashion, the best bit really. All the usual Stars were in attendance, and several ROCers as well.There were many good club stands to browse, and it would have been a great day out, spoilt only by the weather. Roll on Sept 30 - dp
David Brown

Post by David Brown »

Hi all,Continuing on from Dave Perry's message.I was there also, hanging round the pits, generally getting in the way, taking pictures and videoing anything that rotated. I think it is amazing seeing these bikes again and reminds me why I started following them in 1989. I have heard a lot of bikes since the 1990's, but the Norton Rotaries still do it for me.Yes it was a great show from the Norton Rotaries. I have some video footage which I will be putting on youtube with the bikes starting up in the pits which is fab. Terry Rymer was the Crighton Norton rider doing some great wheelies down the start finish straight. The Norton finally got its outing later in the day as the weather dried out, ridden by bike journalist Alan Cathcart. He absolutely flew and seemed to be really enjoying himself. I heard a rumour that Alan Cathcart had an outing on Capirossi's MotoGP bike recently and the New Norton rotary was comparable, only a rumour mind. I look forward to seeing his feedback in the bike press. The bike is due to race at two races later this year so that should be worth seeing. Could be Steve Spray or an up an coming rider. That's all for now. David
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

Thanks for the update David, and a question.What did the new Norton sound like ?It has no ejector zorst, but a cooling fan to draw air through the engine.So it should not have the spine tingling note of the old racers - so was it a whaa, whizz or whoosh ??
David Brown

NRV588

Post by David Brown »

The new NRV588 sounded good, probably down to only having one silencer at the side of the bike. I remember the Crighton Norton's had a silencer underneath the engine as well. Still making the b-b-b-b-b-b- pop! sound that we love so much. The loudest pipe I think was the Micron on one of the JPS bikes. It was different from the normal Microns I have seen in the past. Have a listen. I am getting round to youtube when I can remember my password.I also noticed that the Crighton bikes make a whistling/whining noise just before they get to Gerrards with the motor shut off. I wasn't sure if it was the clutch belt drive or the drilled discs. Any ideas?Lets have a look at youtube.David