Austria July

Richard Negus

Austria July

Post by Richard Negus »

I'm seriously thinking of going to the NOC International Rally at Salzburgring and Steyr in Austria, 18th -26th July, this year on my Commander.Anyone else going ??R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
graham

Re: Austria July

Post by graham »

Hello Richard,Why not come to the Wankeltreffen?Excellent shakedown run for Austria smiley You could ride North to Hull, the Ferry is a joy with excellent food and a pleasant cabin. Then it's only a 200 mile ride to the rally. John Nettleship and I are thinking about going, if you'd make one in I'm sure John and I would also go for sure.This year, the Wankeltreffen is hosted at the Hotel Hilling - owned by the organiser of the event - so we're guaranteed a warm welcome.Graham.http://www.wolfgang-dingeldein.de/wanke ... en2009.htm
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Graham,Salzburg seemed a good idea at the time - but when casually mentioned to 'er indoors, the response went along the lines of " how long ????!!!".Negotiations are still in progress - but a compromise of Wankeltreffen may be more acceptable.Oh, and I've just come back from four days away to find one of our rabbits (the doe, Agnes) had been pining and refusing to eat. Diane panicked, took her to the vets, and spent a small fortune. 'Course, as soon as I got in the house last night, the 'effin rabbit started eating again. Women !R.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi again Graham,A more positive response - but it does seem a case of one or the other (events).Do you know of any special deals on Hull / Rotterdam ? Even allowing for compulsory cabin accommodation from Hull, via Dover/Calais is 1/6th of the price but only 220 miles more (for me).Hull, Newcastle, Harwich are all pretty much the same price.R.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello Richard, Going to Austria on my 500 Dommie [ toooo easy on a rotary] in company with John Bass on his Classic & Tim Harrison on his Commander via Calais on the 19th. July. Slow sightseeing trip planned & my budget is £50.00 a day. No motorways & probably camping/Formel E all the way. Derek.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Re: Wankeltreffen Hi Richard, I am booked on the 0950 departure of 'Le Shuttle' on Friday 12th. If an overnight on Thursday evening in Highwood is of any help to break the journey, then it would be a pleasure ... ditto for Graham etc
graham

Post by graham »

Hello Richard,The trip down to Dover and up the coast from Calais is not one I enjoy. By choosing my route north from Europoort carefully I can avoid most of the built up areas:(City: Den Haag (2003) Population: 463.754. Area (kilometres sq): 8.565 Unemployment: ... the region is one of the most densely populated. parts of Europe.)The ferry is going to cost £125 ish each way with meals and cabin. The AA and RAC apparently do discounts but I can never find them!David, Many thanks for your kind offer, I'd love to come down and see you sometime. It seems ages since we had a chance for a good chinwag :-) But for trips to Europe I really do love the Hull boats.If I get myself organised I'll post againAll the best,Graham
John in Leeds

Post by John in Leeds »

Come on Wilshaw, get yourself organised then! You know you want to! Very Happy For those who may wish to know: I'm definitely going to Wankeltreffen next week - got my Hull ferry booked, out on Wednesday night, back on Sunday night. Any company most welcome. MCN 5% discount available on Hull ferry by typing MCN or 9632 in the discount code box.I'm intending to camp, so I hope my Google translated "camping exist there too" means onsite, not two villages away!I'm also intending to go to Austria, but still undecided about the whole week, especially as it's a bit pricey, more so without pre-booking, so I'm dithering about how many days to book.John Nettleship