Donnington Park 19/20/21 June 2009

Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Donnington Park 19/20/21 June 2009

Post by Derek Nicol »

According to the NOC calendar (nice pic Mr Weighell) FRIDAY 19th of June is the NOC Golden Jubilee day at Donnington Park.According to the Donnington Park website, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st is Donnington Park Revival featuring the unapproachable Norton... http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events?event=195The new Norton Company based at Donnington is supposed to be heavily involved with the weekend.According to The ROC Epitrochoid magazine it is on the weekend of the 19th-21st June.I guess its time to book Friday 19th June off work then.I note that this clashes with Rotary Day at Gawthorpe Hall Lancs on Sunday 21st June. Are there any plans to move / combine / merge or cancel Rotary Day??
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Re: Donnington Park 19/20/21 June 2009

Post by Derek Nicol »

And according to the Norton Owners Club magazine, Friday is the main event with plenty of track time available for NOC members... look forward to that, ive not been around Donnington yet.Road bikes with MOTs and riders in reasonably protective clothing will be able to enjoy marshalled Parades. Fast road bikes and race bikes will be subject to scrutineering and riders in one piece leathers will enjoy extended sessions at 'your speed'.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Is that just NOC or does that inclued ROC as well :?: Will be cross if only NOC as planned to come that day and then go up to the Rotary day on the Sunday :cry:
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Norman Lorton (ROC Member and NOC Secretary) tells me that the ROC will be invited to take part in Friday's track days; he seemed to suggest that it would be F1 owners - but I am sure it would include ALL rotary Nortons. He promises more details anon ....DC
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Great please keep us informed. Would be good to give the Interplod a run :D
velovenom

Post by velovenom »

Hi All I understand from the NOC that donington is now restricted to the 19th only regards Mick
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

According to a piece in the m/cycling press from Stuart Garner .... turn up on a Norton and get free track access.There's a black tie ball on the Friday evening (by invitation only? or are tickets on sale? Anyone know?) and a party on the Saturday evening with live bands etc .... Sounds like a good dooo ... sadly Allan Stubbs had already booked the Rotary Day last year and he tells me the date is now fixed. Just not enough weekends in the year ....
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I will be there :D
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:Norman Lorton (ROC Member and NOC Secretary) tells me that the ROC will be invited to take part in Friday's track days... He promises more details anon ....DC
David, has a special arrangment for ROC members been confirmed yet? on page 7 of the latest NOC magazine, Norman Lorton writes - 'track time... riders must be NOC members'.Everyone who wants to take part in the track time will have to pre-register. Booking info will be mailed out to NOC members in April.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:There's a black tie ball on the Friday evening and a party on the Saturday evening with live bands etc
According to the latest NOC mag these have been switched around, 'Friday night.. big party.. beer tent.. rock band.. fireworks' / Saturday night.. Dinner'.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I spoke to the contact on the NOC website and he was happy for the Rotary to be registered for the event / track time as I am in the ROC. He is going to be sending out registration papers in the post so I guess best thing is to contact him and wait on the postman
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Interpol2471 wrote:I spoke to the contact on the NOC website and he was happy for the Rotary to be registered for the event / track time as I am in the ROC. He is going to be sending out registration papers in the post so I guess best thing is to contact him and wait on the postman
Thats Good news! 8)
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

According to the latest NOC mag these have been switched around, 'Friday night.. big party.. beer tent.. rock band.. fireworks' / Saturday night.. Dinner'.I spoke to 'Liz', Stuart Garner's PA about the celebrations ... and asked that we couild be supplied with info as The Epitrochoid due out at the end of this month will be the last one before the event. She has promised to get back to me before the end of March so I can get soemthing in print, but as yet, nothing has been heard from them.DC
Malc

Post by Malc »

I dont know if people are aware that this Donington date is also the 3rd round of the CRMC Club championship and their web site states it will include the Anglo Nordic Match Race Challenge.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Looking forward to this. Malcolm, you will have to show me the way round Donington (at novice pace of course) wink
Malc

Post by Malc »

Probably forgot my way round now.Last time I raced there was in June 1981 on a big Honda. I was in the 1300cc Superbike Race as I didnt qualify for the World of Sport 1300 race which was televised.Some names you may remember from the results were;1st Barry Sheene 750 Suzuki2nd Ron Haslam 1123 Honda6th Steve Parrish ?9th Mick Grant RG 500 Suzuki10th Rob McElea TZ 750 Yamaha18th Trevor Nation 997 SuzukiSo it was the proving ground for prospective Norton riders!I have said I may let a couple of the CRMC riders try the bikes so you will have to follow one of them.Malc
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Malc wrote:Probably forgot my way round now.I have said I may let a couple of the CRMC riders try the bikes so you will have to follow one of them.Malc
Youre not going out on circuit then?P.S. hows the 'Blue/Silver/Red' coming on? will it be finished by June 19th?
Malc

Post by Malc »

No, I need to know how it will be run regarding track time, scrutineering, noise tests and costs etc and if its run along similar lines to Mallory Festival of 1000 Bikes then I wont let the bikes out.I was hoping to have the RC588 ready for Donington but delays and problems persist. The original yokes were scrap so waited for Spondon to make new ones, then caliper brackets to suit Spondon calipers, got all front end built only to find fairing top mount brackets are different and bottom yoke rubs inner edge of fairing. After years of searching, last week managed to get the original Suzuki RG race forks but they want renovating and I need spondon to make new yokes again along with new clip ons and caliper mount brackets and they are rey busy doing the new bike. Still need an early brembo front master cyl with remote resevoir although Stuart at Spondon says to use a Lockheed one as they used both. All the pics I have of it are with the Brembo on though and despite being told that there was never a standard spec for this bike as it changed every meeting I would still like the remaining items to be as original as poss. I still need the period White power steering damper, RG 3/4 pull twistgrip also an RG front mudguard now. Most of all, I just need my health to remain stable enough to finish it. I am past the stage where I can or will put myself under pressure to meet dates as I try to keep some perspective about it, after all "its only a bloody motorbike" as I was told years ago. Suppose I could get one of those Norton Lambreeny Scooters!malc
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

No noise limits !!! Very Happy There will be 'Paddock Runs'- 'a form of mini sprint with commentary'. 'Road Parades'- 'must have MoT, tax & insurance and no oil leaks'- 'Track cars will control speeds'. 'Speed Parades'- CRMC scrutineering of bikes (tape up lights & indicators) & clothing (one piece leathers required).
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:According to a piece in the m/cycling press from Stuart Garner .... turn up on a Norton and get free track access.....
I just got my Booking Forms from NOC and see that, unless I read incorrectly, nothing is free.Friday entry is £10.00 NOC member / £12.00 non-member.Friday road-bike track session x 2 is £15.00 ; good value if each session goes to its allotted 20 minutes. You can book four sessions for £30.00.I have to be elsewhere on Saturday and will be supporting Alan Stubbs at Gawthorpe on Sunday.Lets hope for good weather for both events.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Is it just me or is it a bit pricey? I would have to spend well over one hundred pounds to take part in everything (plus food and drink costs).I am considering taking part in the Friday road parades x2, the Friday night party and the Saturday race parade x1... this will cost me fifty pounds.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I think by the sounds of it I am just going to attend the Friday day time meeting and watch others spend their money wink I am still waiting for the details form the NOC, maybe I should ring again cry
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

Friday entrance NOC member £10 / members partner £10 / Non member £12 / under 18's free.Friday road parades 2 x 20 mins £15.Friday race parades 2 x 20 mins £35.Friday evening party £5 (includes 1st drink).Saturday entrance £5 / under 18's free.Saturday road parade 1 x 20 mins £15.Saturday race parade 1 x 20 mins £20.Saturday mass ride.. FREE!Saturday Dinner (includes wine) £39.Sunday road parade 1 x 20 mins £15.Sunday race parade 1 x 20 mins £20.(saturday & Sunday parade costs include compulsory circuit ticket cost).NOC membership £17.
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

I just had the following email enquiry from a ROC member... Do you know if Donington has to be pre-booked or pay on day? Not getting much info apart from what you have sent as not in NOC. I thought i would post up my reply on here...Donington is pre book only - closing date 5th June. According to the info sent by the NOC you have to be an NOC member to go on track (they provide the option to join, on the Donington booking form, at an extra cost of £17-00).Hopefully there will be details of how ROC members can apply in the next Epitrochoid.Im very disappointed with the prices - Friday entrance is only £2 cheaper for an NOC member compared to a member of the public !! and Saturday entrance is not discounted at all !!! I think this may be my last year as an NOC member.Also, I think i may have to knock the 'race parade' on the head, i cant really afford it. Its tempting to just do the 'race parade' without doing the 'road parade' first... but... the only time i ever went to race at a circuit without first booking a practice day... i crashed !! (on the first flying lap into the first corner). Doh! Derek.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have had it confirmed today that to go on the track you must pay the additional £17 to become a NOC member as well as being a memeber of the ROC due to insurance conditions laid down by the NOC. No NOC membership no track play cry Guess I am standing room only red face
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Post by Derek Nicol »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:Norman Lorton (ROC Member and NOC Secretary) tells me that the ROC will be invited to take part in Friday's track days... He promises more details anon .... DC
Interpol2471 wrote:I have had it confirmed today that to go on the track you must pay to become a NOC member as well as being a member of the ROC due to insurance conditions laid down by the NOC. No NOC membership no track play. Guess I am standing room only
Have we been misled by the NOC ??
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Who is going to be there then? I am for one Very Happy
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I am because Essex N.O.C. have been volunteered to do most of the organisationl duties for the weekend. I shall be scrutineering track time bikes so watch out!!! Bribes will be accepted in sterling or alcohol! Bumped into Joe from Hullbridge on the A13 at Rainham this afternoon. What`s the chances of two Grey Commanders being on the same road at the same time without prior knowledge? He is taking his F1 sport to Donington on Friday. Derek.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Interpol2471 wrote:Who is going to be there then?
Me too - but Friday only ; domestic bliss on Saturday & Gawthorpe Sunday.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!