RE-5 Oil Filter. Carb Diaphragms.

Charles Wilson

RE-5 Oil Filter. Carb Diaphragms.

Post by Charles Wilson »

Thought I would Post in a New Topic.There is a Toyota Oil Filter that replaces the RE-5 Oil Filter:Toyota Oil Filter 90915-03001The Rubber Diaphragms for the carb are from an original Solex 18-32 design (KKM-502 => NSU Prinz). See your local Solex store for details.When the Rotary was my only transportation, I used the Toyota filter and never experienced any problems. In fact, I had a choice of 2 filters, a short can and a longer can. I took the longer version and that is the number above. Supplier of the filters was Denso.My carb was lagging a bit and I took a chance. Disassembled the carb and took the diaphragms to a carb shop in St. Petersburg, Florida and the Counter Rep poured out a box of rubber thingies - "OOOOHH! Them'ses Soolex's a'right".Bike ran fine after that. "Your mileage may vary!"One other small thing: The SAE Paper on the RE-5 states that the motor runs fine on 10w-40. That's what I used.The SAE Paper on the Norton by Garside states that the Norton ran on "Low Ash" 40 weight. Don't yell at me, Richard, I'm just quoting.Charles
Charles Wilson

Re: RE-5 Oil Filter. Carb Diaphragms.

Post by Charles Wilson »

SAE Paper # 770190, " Suzuki Production Rotary Engine, Model RE-5 for Powering Motorcycles":"The "Fresh" lube oil for the gas sealing elements and the oil in the oil pan are of the same specifications of the same brand...The specified rotary engine oil is of SAE 10W/40, has its ash content limited to 0.65 weight percent in order to minimize carbon fouling and of the spark plug and combustion chamber.""The RE-5 engine uses a two-stage, two barrel Solex carburetor of horizontal draft 18-32HHD type".SAE Paper # 821068, "Development of the Norton Rotary Motorcycle Engine":"Oil Type - The recommendation from earlier Papers on the charge-cooled rotary engine [[reference End Notes]] have been followed and single grade SAE detergent type oil (SAE Service CC) with about 1% ash content have been used."Lots more if anyone is interested.Charles
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Blast!!Should read, "The recommendation from earlier Papers on the charge cooled rotary engine...have been followed and single grade SAE 40 detergent type oil (API Service CC) with about 1% ash content have been used..."CW
eyeguy

Post by eyeguy »

Excellent stuff, thank you Charles!It now....runs exclaim Blimey....ATGPaul