IP2 WILL NOT TICK OVER

gasehound

IP2 WILL NOT TICK OVER

Post by gasehound »

HI CLUB MEMBERSI HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED AN IP2, BUT IT WILL NOT TICK OVERIF YOU KEEP IT AT 2500 REVS IT WILL JUST ABOUT RUN ANY LESS AND ITS GOODNIGHTIF I APPLY THE CHOKE IT RUNS A LITTLE BETTER.SOMETIMES IT BACKFIRES AND CUTS TO ONE ROTOR ONLYANY IDEAS THAT CAN HELPREGARDS STEVE
Dell Boy

Re: IP2 WILL NOT TICK OVER

Post by Dell Boy »

Bad news I`m afraid. Almost certainly your engine is knackered.It sounds like the side plates are smeared [grooved] causing lack of compression & therefore great difficulty in keeping the engine running at low revs. My Commander ticks over at 200 revs.I think you will find most forum members have been in your position at some time with there bikes. I bought my IP2 in 1988 & it had exactly the same symptoms.Engine rebuild is the only cure.Do you know if the engine has been "moly" treated?Derek F.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi Steve before you panic too much do you know any history on your engine such as John stated i.e. Moly'd?If not start by looking as Richard always says in the transfer ports which is nice and easy on the IP2 if they are not full of black or silver then on to the next agenda, see his earlier thread on the forum with pictures.If this seems ok I would then soak the rotor housings with a mixture of Comp2 and Redex just to free things up and give the old girl a chance, maybe clean out the carbs also while this is doing its magic in the rotor housings and then try again.Next is to check for air leaks on the air by-pass tubes and also the little rubber blanking plug on the right hand intake tract and once this is all looking good check the carb mixture also, if you can get the bike to fast idle you can get a good idea of the mixture adjustment similar to setting any old twin by looking for the sweet spot on each mixture screw and then adjusting the idle to suit afterwards. This is not perfection but a good starting point and can then give you clues as to the engine condition.My IP2 was a pig when I first got it but after much fiddling and adjustments, oh and a few new parts mine idles beautifully .. well good enough for an old quarry lorry wink but I did know I had a moly'd engine with low miles which of course helped.Good luck but if you do see silver in the transfer ports dont run the engine as you may cause damage that cannot be repaired.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I guess also you have checked your plugs, leads etc and also moved the alternator wires away from the ignition pick up wires around the gearbox area and cleaned the terminals?
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

There,that should keep you busy for a while exclaim,good luck,J.B.
gasehound

Post by gasehound »

Turned out to be shit in the petrolsigh of relief,but thanks for the helpregards Steve.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Oh that is good. I always fear the worst,[eternal pessimist], especially with rotary`s but this is good news. Hopefully many thousands of miles of rotaring to come.Derek F.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

well done glad to hear all is well.... I just want to know what weird freek does that though? evil wink evil
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Interpol2471 wrote: what weird freek does that though?
One with a good aim and even better sense of balance smiley
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!