Comander rear brake noise

bodgerbloke52

Comander rear brake noise

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

My Commander suffers a minor grinding noise on rear brake. Resurfaced the disc and fitted the recommended Dunlopad gg. Noise much worse. The DP pad does not sweep any where near the swept area of the disc which I find strange.Any suggestions on differing pad experience would be appreciated.Roger in the Pacific NW
johnbirchjar

Re: Comander rear brake noise

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Roger,The last time I fitted new pads on the rear of the Classic I got a faint "vibrating" noise which started about the last 8/10mph before the bike came to a halt,I thought"That will go when the pads bed in" (umpteen thousand miles later and she still do's it, smiley)I usualy fit Mintex pads.Never had any sort of "scraping" though,(exept years ago on one of my sisters old bangers, when the pads had worn right away to the metal exclaim)ride safe,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Anti-rattle shims still in place, and fitted the correct way round?They are handed, left and right, with an arrow which should be pointing forward.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Thanks JB and RIt still had the original JA pan pads, no sign of anti rattle whatsits so that is likely suspect, I assume they are a Yamaha part???Thanks for the tip.The new Dunlopads do not mention or come with Anti rattle springs but I am tossing them out because of there relatively small swept area, I have a set of Ferodos arriving tomorrow.JBThe noise was same as you describe on OE pads but much louder on the DP. Looks like AWOL anti rattle springs is the culprit as Richard suggestsRoger
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Yamaha part numbers 1FK-25827-00 and 1FK-25828-00; only used on the rear so Yamaha/Sumitomo must have encountered a problem with that brake set-up.Also worth checking for wear in the caliper plate pivot (replace the bush and pivot spacer) and softening of the Silentbloc bushes in the torque rod.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
gripper

Post by gripper »

I had the same problem with my Commander when I had it. The cure was to fit non sintered brake pads ie. organic. Trouble is everybody wants to sell you the latest sintered pads and they eat discs. (the pads that is)
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Anything with "organic" in the makeup is usualy half as much again in price,I'll suffer the "vibrating" thanks,(and not have my discs eaten away)as allways,ride safe,J.B.
Malc

Post by Malc »

Did have one Commander with a brake noise although none of the others all running original yamaha pads were noisy.The problem was that one caliper bolt appeared to be torqued up correctly but in fact the bolt was 'tight' on the original loctite but not tight enough to stop some resonance when the brake was applied. Cleaned both bolts, re-loctited and torqued up and it cured it.This was a problem on just the one bike.One of the best things Norton did was to anodise the calipers on an exchange basis to help stop the continuing brake sticking problem as soon as the yamaha calipers saw wet weather.Wasn't a total cure but it did improve them. Malc
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Ran the bike on bench yesterday with a helper for throttle control. At approx 20-35mph (off rev counter), brake applied by hand, noise was accompanied by vibration of the calliper and its carrier. It was vibrating against the torque arm rear rubber bush. Fitted anti vibration clips collected from local knackers yard. Noise and vibration cured.Fitted new ceramic pads, no vibration with or without clips. Same result with new GG Ferodos except generally a little more noise that the ceramics. Both of the latter pads may be different once they bed in. That will not be until next spring as our steep one mile long drive is ice and snow bound plus we take off for the south for the winter next week. Norton stays home, we take the Deauville and the XT250 Yam for some desert exporing.Roger
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The torque arm rubber bush,I must check out the Classic's,A mile long drive!! what are you? a rock star cool ?Have a safe journey south Very Happy,rgds,J.B.
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

No JB, we are hill billies living up here at just over 3000'. Having SPACE is what this neck of the woods is all about.R