Knocking forks

PeterO

Knocking forks

Post by PeterO »

The front forks on my Interpol 2 have developed a knock. I understand that this is not unusual. I intend to strip and clean them but I noticed in the exploded drawing of the forks that anti knock shims are shown to be used as needed. I have not been able to get any information on how to decide how many shims are needed or even whether to add them or reduce them to deal with the problem. I am using a light fork oil at present and the seals are good. Can anyone help with advice. \rMany thanks\rPeterO
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

Hi Pete, I have just been through this exercise, and have now rebuilt the forks, with the help of those wonderful folk at Norton Motors, and I have no doubt that Startrights would be able to help as well.\r\rOne source of knock comes from the movement of the bush up to the circlip. I found my bushes to be pretty tight, ie no perceptible movement, so did not use the shims. Fit shims until there is very little movement while still being able to get the circlip in the groove !My knock was caused because one of the valves had been fitted wrong way up ! The support washer should be fitted with it's sharp corner against the shoulder in the leg\r\rThe whole job was pretty straightforward, no special tools required, although a correct sized bit of pipe or wood is required to push the new seals home without damage, if required.\r\r\rGood luck dp