Classic on dyno tune machine.

Hunter

Classic on dyno tune machine.

Post by Hunter »

Hello All, Today I had the opprotunity to put my Classic on a dyno tune machine. The day came about when a RE5 owner organised a group to attend a dyno tune workshop. Was very interesting results.Has any one had their Nortons on the dyno tune? Full results for the RE5's will be posted on the Suzuki RE5 Message Board sponsored by Rotaryrecycle in a few days once our organiser collates all the in for. Here is brief summary.1) My Classic produced 65 bhp @ 7,500 rpm and went to little rich fuel/air mixture during acceleration to 7,500 rpm. (right had side mixture done first). A copy of the result is posted.I then had the mixture sensor placed into the left muffler to compare fuel/air mixture and carby balance. All so close. bhp was climing in a linear fashion until throttle shut off. Dudly the dyno tech thought it would just keet reving and bhp increasing until engine blew up.I only came to look at owners' manual when I got back home to find that claimed bhp is 79 bhp but @ 9,000rpm. Pity I never knew this before I went or I could have had Dudly run her up to 9,000rpm to compare to factory claims. Oh, mine has 32,000 miles on odo. He also was very impressed and just kept commenting on how smooth the engine is. I was keen to see what bhp was produced but also more keen to chech carby balance. I came away very happy. Well worth $80 any day.2) There was 6 RE5s tested. bhp ranged from 40 bhp to 49 bhp on one which had done only approx 4,000 miles. The interesting thing to see was that 5 of them were set too rich on secondary main jet(full throttle acceleration to redline rpm) and one only was too lean with no explanation as to why it was lean as it had a nos stock carby. Also interesting to see how bhp varied as fuel/air mixture changed. The bhp plot also leveled out @ 4,000 rpm and remained fairly flat up to 7,500 rpm.I do not have a plot of any of the RE5 runs. I do hope to get some sent to me and with owners'approval I may be able to make one availabe for all to examine. But, if you are subscribed to the RE5 massage board you will be able to see them and a report by the organiser.Also we had a photographer present and will be sending photos and story to the British Classic bike mag for a future story. Not sure how comprehensive that would be.3) One Suzuki GT750 tripple (76 model) was tested. It was little disapointin. It made 40 bhp. It vas very rich fuel/air mixture. But it had had 3 into one exhaust system on it in the past and now current owner had stock system on it. He has no knowledge if it had been rejetted for 3 into one system and he never checked it when he put stock exhaust back on it.Hope you all find these results interesting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Boy

Re: Classic on dyno tune machine.

Post by Dell Boy »

I had my F.1. dynoed at the T.T. about twelve years ago. From memory it put out 80.5 b.h.p at the back wheel at 9,750 r.p.m. The next bike was a Kawasaki GPZ 1100 which put out 76 b.h.p.The operators were very impressed with the rotary torque curve.Derek F.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

I trust you had a good cooling fan blowing?A very interesting exercise ... thank you for posting it here .... mind if I pinch it for the next club magazine?Cheers,David
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

Dudly the dyno tech thought it would just keep reving and bhp increasing until engine blew up.
No, it won't- the bhp increasing, that is. It will certainly rev until eventually the gyroscopic forces make the heavy rotor explode. I seem to remember that happens at about 14.00 to 15.000 rpm. I was told the works race team involuntarily established the point of explosion on the testbed....Before that, however, breathing lets the power drop quite siginficantly; our racer at the time had peak power at just under 10.000 and then power started to drop off.Wankel RD in Lindau were experimenting with alloy and ceramic rotors in 1989, when I visited them to report back to LeRoux. It never came to anything- like most of their R&D, the money for which they had a way to squeeze out of the German government for decades. On what grounds I still wonder!
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

David, please do use it in next mag if you can. Once our organiser sends me the RE5 traces I can send you one of those as well.Hopefully I will get my membership form send off and I will then be able to receive a magazine too.The Dyno Tech was very inpressed with the power line here too. Increasing with rpm. He felt it would just keep increasing until motor failure. Intersting to know the limit. We only went to 7,500, that was showing as redline on tacho.There is a u tube video clip too. I will post it here once the organiser gives his approval. Just a formality, but I do just want to polite.You may be able to find it if you do google on "RE5s on dyno" or something like that.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

U tube video of day.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMyKhU7- ... e=youtu.be I also found it by searching google and entering DYNO DAY E.wmv.It was at the top of the search.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I cannot get the link posted here by copying etc. so that is works. I don't have enough computer cleverness. Mybe some one else can.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Also forgot to warn anyone looking at the video clip, It does contain some scenes from a motorcycle to motorcycle headon accident the group encounted enroute to Dyno workshop. One of the RE riders is a doctor and checked victims and indicated that both riders were not life threatening injuries.