IP2 gear selection

gripper

IP2 gear selection

Post by gripper »

My IP2 sometimes is reluctant to go into first from neutral and in addition I frequently miss downward changes, typically going into roundabouts. Both these problems involve moving the lever in the same direction ie. down. Should I elongate the bolt holes in the square plate inside the outer cover and move it to allow a full engagement of the gear, or will that spoil my upward changes?
Richard Negus

Re: IP2 gear selection

Post by Richard Negus »

Dave,The holes in the plate are actually oversize to allow a bit of 'wiggle' of the plate for the very purpose.Inspect the ends of the plungers, the quadrant teeth and the curved springs while you're in there. The latter may have lost a bit of preload and are not centreing the pedal.Is it better if you nudge the pedal upwards slightly before changing down?Another suggestion, which unfortunately involves engine removal, is to look at the camplate and selector forks. One of them (I forget which) works in a track close to the centre of the cam and occasionally wears the pin, making it even less inclined to do what the cam asks, resulting in a sticky gearchange.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dave,I had this problem with the Classic some umpteen thousand miles ago,a new camplate spring was a 99% cure,It's a bit fiddly but a new spring can be fitted without removing the g/box,(contrary to what Rugely said at the time,I can't remember who I spoke to,)ride safe,J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

The downward changes continued to be poor so I took off the outer cover tonight. Moving the square plate about will not give any more complete engagement because the movement of the brass selector quadrant is limited by the stops in the cover casting. I've filed about 0.030" (0.75mm for you metric types) off the quadrant where it abuts the casting and stuck it all back. Test flight tomorrow. I had been getting the situation where occasionally after changing down, the box would jump out of second and try and jump into third but not quite get there only to be spat out of third. Nasty.On a slightly different subject, on the american access norton website there was a gearbox thread where a guy with some racing experience said that one of his gearboxes was fitted with a cluster from a T140 Triumph. To my simple mind that would indicate the same dimension between mainshaft and layshaft. In which case, with some modification, could a commando cluster fit a IP2/Commander? more importantly would you be any better off?
gripper

Post by gripper »

The downward gear selection is much improved and I can now detect with my foot that the gear has engaged properly. Now the revcounter is playing up again, despite fitting a new reg/rect unit.