Carbs flooding.

bodgerbloke52

Carbs flooding.

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Just been putting my IP2 and Commander back on the road after winter storage.IP2 started straight off but after a minute the right rotor stopped firing, wet plug, fitted clean one, no cure but raw fuel pouring down the right exhaust, carb was flooding the right side. Fuel off, dried it all out, new plug, ran a treat, carb not flooding.????????????????????Commander, exact same thing happened. However, after drying out and new plug it flooded again. Replaced the vacuum pipe to fuel tap with a foot of clear pipe in order that I could control the fuel supply. Fired it up with no suck on tap. As it started to falter, sucked on the tap to get flow. Ran perfect for a few seconds until right stopped firing. Kept it running on one but no fuel flow.As levels dropped the right fired up again. "sucked" on the fuel, It flooded again and blew out the plug, picked up again if I stopped fuel supply.Pulled off carb. Found nothing wrong, float setting still spot on, float needle working perfectly. Put carb back on, no cure. Both bikes running perfectly before storage last October.Any ideas any one.??Roger
johnbirchjar

Re: Carbs flooding.

Post by johnbirchjar »

I don't suppose the dreaded ethanole has melted a hole in the carb floats,?and they are filling up, that may cause your problems,J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

S.U carbs dont have floats John.Derek F.
commando-rotary

Post by commando-rotary »

Mine have. D G
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

These SU have floats. I suspected the E10 rubbish fuel but float was as new and dry. Float needle is viton tipped, free of gunge or marks. Third strip of the culprit right I completely dismantled it, choke assembly as well, all perfect. Refitted it fully prepared to give the bike to the fist passer by if it still flooded. It started perfect, idles at 500, runs like a champ. Suspect it was initially debris from winter storage making the float needle stick. So much fuel went into the engine that only after third carb strip had it dried out enough to fire up. Next time I will heed RN's advice and clout the carb with a hammer.Roger in the Pacific North West
Howell

Post by Howell »

I may be wrong, but this sounds like the cold start device "O" rings have perished. I would remove the carbs and check.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Sorry Del boy,but my bike has carb floats also,J.B.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Sorry John, I had a senior moment there. You are of course all correct & so do mine have floats.Derek F.