IP2 Revcounter

Richard Negus

Re: IP2 Revcounter

Post by Richard Negus »

Howell wrote:Richard,Is it a major job to convert a Aircooled motor to reverse flow? how about the oil feed pipes - which I assume have to go to the main bearing housings? And crucially here, without the benefit of a fairing to hide everything, what is the appearance like?
Howell,Oil feed pipes are the least of the problems! R/h side takes the standard Commander set-up, l/h needs a pipe silver-soldered to the oil seal housing like this.
3238-12.jpg
The same bike has a rectangular hole in the bottom of the frame, with a flange welded on, and a fabricated steel duct to connect to the centre plate.The 'elbows' are blanked off at the frame end and a tube welded in to allow filtered air into the end plates.The elbows, or something like them, have to be used to attach the engine to the frame. A fabricated 90 degree bracket, with a tube to mount K&N-type filters, would do the job.
3238-10.jpg
I have a different thought about a connection between centre plate and frame, and will post photos when it's done.Sorry the photos are out of sequence smiley R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Howell

Post by Howell »

Thanks Richard, very interesting. One for the future I think. I look forward to the finished job.Ian, please see attached photos
001.JPG
002.JPG
Richard had a big part in this, as he put one on the "Jam Sandwich", my solution though was to keep the stock alternator and modify the pump housing. Just finished the bike, but have done 900 miles with no problems. 6000 hours life is quoted for the pump, and flow controlled by temp so better in traffic. the fan rarely now runs after a stop. See www.daviescraig.com for UK distributors. See www.britishbikeclub.org for a nice picture of my bike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Sorry I know this is an old topic but I wanted to prove that I have searched the forum. I now have the interpol running and have been using her as a daily commute. This weekend I reconnected the Rev counter (alternator driven) and low and behold I now have an apparent 12v supply issue . The bike stalls with any electrical load and will not rev beyond 3500 rpm. The obvious culprit is the regulator rectifier. However due to my connecting the Rev counter at this point I am wondering if I have a fault in it shorting one alternator winding to ground. Any thoughts or experience on this? Aside from this the bike was going great.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Spanner boy, Are you using the standard system? An Interpol 11 picks up the tacho signal via a yellow cable from the electronic voltage unit. The tacho has three connectionc on its reverse with the black cables on the top connector closest to the ilumination lamp, yellow on the centre connection and white on the lowest connection. the yellow cable terminates on the white socket, lowest centre pin on the binnacale. terminal 14. Disconect this plug and see if the problem goes away, you wil loose indicator and side stand warning lamps and possibly neutral (sorry, can't remember) but the bike will still run.Regards, Joe.
spanner boy

Post by spanner boy »

Hi JoeI am using a voltage control unit which does not have the yellow wire going into the box it self. I have tried this now connected directly to one phase of the alternator. The Rev counter works but looks like I now have a charging issue.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi HowellTo revers the airflow on a AC engine you must modify the stationary gears to the same as water cooled as well as feading them with oil, the mod is more than a hole for the oil pipe on the stationary gear. The oil pipe was brazed on to the stationary gear, all the rc588 had reversed oil flow, also early Rcw had an extra oil pipe brased oil pipe brased direct on to the stationary gear. To my knowledge they never suffer breakages. You could use water cooled stationary gears but these are thin on the ground. I have seen a factory modified oil flow ac bike about 5 years ago, so it must be ok.Richard and MalcRichard the 1988 Rc ignition I bought of you is fully working but I cant for the life in me understand how they got this working with a ip2 French reve counter. The rc bikes did not run a generator. Malc dose your bike have the Rc588 hall effect race ignition with tz coils and the ip2 reve counter. if so how's the reve counter wired. My understanding from Brian is its all modified Norton from std Norton apart from the coils.Regards Wayne
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

H I RichardSorry I did not see page two on the stationary gear mod, if we had a edit button I would delete my commentsRegards Wayne
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Richard and MalcRichard the 1988 Rc ignition I bought of you is fully working but I cant for the life in me understand how they got this working with a ip2 French reve counter. The rc bikes did not run a generator. Malc dose your bike have the Rc588 hall effect race ignition with tz coils and the ip2 reve counter. if so how's the reve counter wired. My understanding from Brian is its all modified Norton from std Norton apart from the coils.Regards Wayne[/quote]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

ops try again
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

r