silkolene pro 2

Blair-re5

silkolene pro 2

Post by Blair-re5 »

Hi sorry to talk about 2 stroke oil again,but I have a technical question that I can't find online .Does any know the "flash point" of silkolene pro 2 I have found out that rotella dd40is 228 deg c and a lot of SYNTHETIC 2 stroke oils are a lot lower ,Motul 800 2t is 252 deg c.thanks Blair .
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: silkolene pro 2

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

If it's of any help Blair, I use Shell Rotella DD+40 in the injector tank of my RE5 .... cheaper than anything else around and the bike runs fine on it.David
rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

Characteristic Unit Test MethodKimatic Viscosity@100degC mm2/s 13.5 IP71 @40degC mm2/s 98.6Viscosity Index 137 IP226SAE Rating 40Pour Rate degC -39 IP15Flash Point (closed cup) degC 210 IP34Specific Gravity 0.920 IP160Hope this helpsRoger
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Are you aware Silcoline only recomend Classic comp 2 for the rotarys, I had some one at staford try to sell me some comp 2 he did not belive me untill he saw for rotarys on the can in his brosure. I use Rotella in the road bikes but will use classic comp 2 in the race bikesRegards Wayne
Blair-re5

Post by Blair-re5 »

Hi thanks for your reply's ,We haven't received any 'classic comp 2' in NZ yetbut the 'comp 2' costs $35nz dollars(16pounds)per litre very expensive .I would like to try and find a full synthetic oil at a better price.Cheers every one happy rotating Very Happy Blair.
rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

this is the response from:RosemaryRosemary MellorUK Automotive Product ManagerFuchs Lubricants UK plcNew Century StreetHanleyStoke on TrentST1 5HUYes, 240C would be about right, but we prefer the PMCC (closed F.Pt.) because it is more accurate, and more indicative of a real hazard, i.e. the explosion of vapour in an enclosed space when exposed to a naked flame. (Flash points have NOTHING to do with spontaneous or auto ignition temperature, which for oils is always in the 400-450C region.) Most 2-stroke oils give a low flash point (any method!) because they are diluted with kerosene or white spirit, particularly the JASO FC low smoke type. To get the low smoke rating it is necessary to add a lot (appr. 30%) of a thick polymer called PIB. This raises the viscosity of the blend to at least SAE 60, so it has to be thinned down to around 20SAE. Many genuine racing 2-stroke oils are not low-smoke, and often consist almost entirely of synthetic esters or castor/ester blends, hence the high flash points. All rather academic, because the F.Pt. of a petrol/oil mix in a 2-stroke engine crankcase is around minus 40C, (or F.), but the auto ignition temperature is about 280C. JR, (R & D Dept.)regardsroger