IP2 Sprague clutch

gripper

IP2 Sprague clutch

Post by gripper »

My IP2 is displaying all the symptoms of a shagged out sprague clutch. Starter turns but the engine doesn't (sometimes). Is it a case of pull it apart and see what is needed, or can someone who has been here before say, I need to replace this, this and this? and it's going to cost this. I wait with bated breath, or is that baited? anyway answers on a five pound note to........ etc.
wust588

Re: IP2 Sprague clutch

Post by wust588 »

Quite a common fault.It'll more than likely need a new sprag bearing, although it runs in a sleeve (press fitted into the clutch) and sometimes these can wear.Try a replacement bearing first. It fits under a smaller version of the circlip that holds in the diaphragm spring.Easy to replace, and I'm sure Graham will have them in stock.My air cooled has displayed these symtoms on and off for years!ATB.
Ian

Post by Ian »

My Commander has got through five sprag clutches over the years and has always displayed these symptoms when it's on the way out. Eventually the starter spins more than it grips and bump starting a Commander is not a recreational activity.You can indeed do the above but given that the sprag is shagged you might as well just replace it in the first place, it will save doing the job twice! It's really quite straightforward to do and the only danger is that on stripping the primary drive you find other things you really should do while your in there! The only thing to take care over is installing the spag the right way round to ensure the starter actually drives instead of freewheeling. Don't ask me how I know it will go in both ways.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Dug out my new spare sprag from the spares bin.Manufacturer is CROSS+MORSE.Part no. 1310145.Cost £40.00 from my local bearing stockist with the massive discount I enjoy.Might be twice this elsewhere.They used to fail regularly on my Commanders but just lately I have not had any failures.Derek.
gripper

Post by gripper »

Just been to Cross and Morse today and picked one up £47.26. Looking at the workshop manual, the bearing looks like a special or is that available from a bearing stockist too? I plan on only doing the job once. (for the time being)