W2000 Steering Head Bearings

Mick Taylor

W2000 Steering Head Bearings

Post by Mick Taylor »

Hi all, does anyone happen to know what size ball bearings are used by the W2000 in the steering head (haven't taken them out yet) or better still whether the complete set including races is available anywhere........or failing that if there is a substitute that fits from another bike?Mick...............kettle738
Mick Taylor

Re: W2000 Steering Head Bearings

Post by Mick Taylor »

Well, I answered my own question.......the ball bearings that came out of the steering head were 6.35mm or 1/4"The steering felt as bad as anything I've ever come across, really lumpy, restricted, countless tight spots.....and the reason turned out to be ancient grease that combined with winter temperatures had taken on the consistency and lubricating qualities of cold tar.One set of new balls....and fresh grease and it's a different animal......but I'd still like to know if anyone knows of a source of new or substitute bearing races.........anyone?Mick....................kettle738
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I must pop down and see you one weekend as I am often in Tenterden as my parents are from there.Still hunting Paul
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

That would be good, Tenterden is just down the road from me.Mick.........kettle738
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Mick,I have it in mind that sets of head bearings from a Kawasaki will fit but ....... You will need to buy TWO sets because on the Jap bike the top is a different size from the bottom - and you require two sets the same size .... plus, once they're in the are in for good because the 'cone' on which the tapered rollers run, is thinner than o.e. and once in the headstock, there is no lip which would allow it to be drifted out.I will p.m. you Katrin's email address; she and her husband Clemens not only speak perfect English but are extremely knowledgable when it comes to W2000sDavid
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Hi David, thank you for that......as it turns out I think I have got away with fitting new ball bearings and a thorough clean and fresh grease, they are silky smooth now.There was discernible wear on the races, but the bike has only done 5,400m from new so it was pretty minor.That said, if it needs more in the future I would want to do the races at the same time so that information would be invaluable and I will follow it up.Many thanks.................Mick.P.S. I dont know who did the hard chrome on the DKW forks, but the visible swept area of my forks is in mint condition which always surprised me given the less than ideal conditions it stood in for 30+ years. I was fully expecting the covered section beneath the headlamp shrouds to be grotty...I pulled them out, they looked like brand new.....amazing, just a pity the wheel rims weren't the same.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Your W2000 front forks are CERIANI which were pretty much state of the art in the 1970s.Sadly, the rims are typical of Italian chroming of the same era ....David