W2000 Ignition Timing

Mick Taylor

W2000 Ignition Timing

Post by Mick Taylor »

.I recently set the ignition timing on my W2000 after an engine rebuild. I set it to the static value of 2 degrees AFTER TDC...which was a complete novelty to me, I've never seen or used ATDC before.Before the change the timing was somewhat advanced of the correct setting; now it still starts instantly on the kick or button and idles OK. That said, I think it has lost a little of it's sparkle and I don't think the idle is quite as steady or strong as it was.The RE5 had various changes to the reccommended timing over the years.....I wondered if there has been a similar revision to the W2000....does anyone have any advice / experience or suggestions? Mick.............kettle738
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: W2000 Ignition Timing

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

I have never heard of varying the timing Mick ... though a couple of owners have rigged up their own forms of electronic ignition for the W2000DC
Mick Taylor

Re: W2000 Ignition Timing

Post by Mick Taylor »

Hi Dave, having set it by the static method I put a strobe on the bike today just to check; I was going to advance it by a couple of degrees just to see if it gave it it's 'pep' back (I'm probably imagining it) but when I ran it up with the strobe it was absolutely spot on, both at idle and full advance so I didn't have the heart to alter it.I also stuck four pieces of tape over the 'recesses' on the rotor....as per the workshop manual, I can't see tape hanging in there for too long....I used duct tape, but I guess it's to prevent water ingress? I would be happy to take any suggestions for a better method of closing these vent holes.....or an opinion as to whether it is really necessary. If my DKW gets wet other than being washed, something has gone horribly wrong.Mick.........kettle738