oil feed pipes

johnbirchjar

oil feed pipes

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I am thinking of changing the engine oil feed pipes on the Classic,(the two skinny ones)they seem fine,but I've heard that they can get brittle over time, (and like me the old girl is getting on a bit) can I buy them made up?Richard?Graham? and am I correct in thinking they are made in copper?also the tank to pump supply pipe seems fine but should I change it anyway?regards, J.B.
rustynuts

Re: oil feed pipes

Post by rustynuts »

Don't think you can buy them. I made my own. Have a look at the "IP2 strip advice" topic in the Tech Interest & New Ideas folder, there is some chat about it there and a piccy of my installation. I used copper brake pipe and made some banjos out of brass bar. I think the later skinny pipes have push in elbows instead of banjos.
gripper

Post by gripper »

I made mine also out of copper brake pipe. I salvaged the original banjos and soft soldered them on to the copper pipe with a couple of brass sleeves I turned up. I didn't fit the restrictors originally fitted on my IP2 and connected to the two pipes that go to the centre plate with Wade connectors. These are like minature plumbing compression fittings with two olives. I have struggled to seal the screw fittings to the centre plate and I'm reluctant to tighten it any more for fear of stripping the threads. The next time it comes apart (don't hold your breath) I will compress an olive onto a piece of brake pipe with enough sticking through to go right the way into the centre plate in a one'er. ( do you like that idea Richard?)
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Dave,Sounds a good idea to me! I apply Wellseal to the sleeve nuts, which both seals the threads and lubricates during tightening. I got a coil of Kunifer brake pipe for the rigid oil lines on 3006. This is an alloy of copper, nickel and iron which is much stronger than copper and less likely to fatigue, More difficult to form though.
3006-52.jpg
A word of caution; make sure any oil pipes, original or modified, are well clear of the throttle levers throughout their travel. or, when the panic sets in because the throttle is stuck full 'ole, remember the kill switch. Don't ask me how I know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I bought all the various flexible piping from Rugely in coils. About six different types including the thin black one.Anyone that wants some it is available at a very reasonable price but tell me exactly what bore/external diameter/ colour or whether plastic or copper.Derek.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Thanks Derek that's great to know cool
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,and if you are at "The Bell" on the 7th Del Boy I will talk to you further on the subjact,ride safe,J.B.