slow closing throttle.

johnbirchjar

slow closing throttle.

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,I am having trouble with the throttle on the Classic closing "slow",(this only happens when the engine has reached working temp:) almost certainly due to the throttle linkage between the air intake tubes being "dry"? (I can see it closing late).Some months back(when I had the same problem) I gave it a good squirt with engine cleaner,washed it off with the hose and squirted oil over as many of the moving parts as I could,(apone reflexion, perhaps not such a good idea as it gets b****y hot down there,and I expect the oil has caramalised,)any sugestions to a solution will be appreciated,ride safe,J.B.
rustynuts

Re: slow closing throttle.

Post by rustynuts »

I would suggest repeated squirting with aerosol brake cleaner and much wiggling. That should hopefully dissolve and dislodge the caked on oil. Could it be that the throttle butterfly shafts are tight in the rotor housings due to accumulation of gunge? With everything clean, there should be adequate clearance for everything to operate smoothly without lubricant. If you feel the need to use a lubricant, dry graphite should withstand the heat, but doesn't stick too well so needs regular application.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi John, Also check the butterflies themselves as I saw on one set of cases I looked at some time ago that the butterflies did not sit properly and dragged causing them to jam open slightly, I believe someone on the forum also had the same issue when the engine was hot and they had to replace the butterfies themselves due to wear. On the case I had slight cleaning with emery paper did the job to give good sealing and clearance.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,I will try the brake cleaner first as it seems easier and will report anon,ride safe,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Liberal application of brake cleaner fluid seems to have done the trick Very Happy (for now?)ride safe,J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

just trawling through some threads that I missed whilst I was away on holiday and came across this one and it started the alarm bells ringing. On the American accessnorton website there was a link to an article by a guy who normally degreased his work prior to welding with carb cleaner. In this instance he could not get carb cleaner so used brake cleaner. When he welded, a pocket of brake cleaner was evaporated and he breathed it in. Over the next few days his health rapidly deteriorated as he had inhaled phosgene gas. he suffered major damage to his sinuses, his blood sugar levels were upset massively, there were many other effects. He spent considerable time in hospital and was lucky to survive. Phosgene gas was used as a nerve agent during the first world war and there is no antidote I would warn against using brake cleaner where it could be evaporated into the breathable atmosphere ie a hot engine. I'll look for the article but the list of damage to this guys system is considerable.
gripper

Post by gripper »

The guy's name is Brew Dude (strange name) but it's worth googling it and reading the article. It's a shocker. I think carb cleaner is a straightforward solvent but brake cleaner has some pretty nasty additives that don't do you much good when heated.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Bloody hell Gripper!! sounds like that stuff is well leathel I shall consign mine to the wast bin,many thanks for the warning,ride safe,J.B.