Commander Speedo

bodgerbloke52

Commander Speedo

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

My Commander speedo is 10% fast, per GPS, Sat Nav I think you blokes call it.Any one have a fix for this? is there any calibration screw on the unit? If so where?Mile recorder for trip and total is not far out, it is just a speed issue. Thanks Roger in the lovely Pacific NW.
gripper

Re: Commander Speedo

Post by gripper »

I've used GPS in two cars and both indicate that the car speedo over-reads by about 4 to 5 MPH I'm guessing that is to keep you on the safe side of the speed limit. I don't know of any method of adjustment though the speedo fitted to my ex MOD police ip2 was supposed to be "calibrated" The only other option would be a larger diameter front wheel/tyre (tire to you sir) mudguard (fender) permitting.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

I have driven many traffic Police cars fitted with calibrated speedos by IRS nottingham same as the IP2/Commander and fitted with the provida video system also calibrated and they still read differently to the GPS.I suspect the GPS is slow to catch up on the signal!test your calibrated speedo on a speed camera! 10% plus 2 mph and if it flashes you know its the GPS at fault! lolRuss
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Thanks fellersOut here on the frontier many freeways, (motorways to y,all), have marked speedo check sections. We have a six mile test section near here. On last weekends trip to Mt Baker up in the NW corner of this state, (Washington) I checked the speedo and the GPS on this section. 60mph and a second hand watch, no no, not a used watch. With the GPS reading 60, it took 59 to 61 seconds for each marked miles. Time for the full six miles was 6 minetes 1 second. The speedo for the six miles was reading 65 to 66. Further comparisons between GPS and speedo at 10 mph increments from 30 through 80 showed a consistant 10% fast on the speedo. At 80 I was really flying with a speedo reading 89.Wonder if Yamaha have slightly different ratio drive gears on the front wheel to correspond with differing wheel or tire (tyre) sizes?I will also talk to the experts whoes business is the repair and servicing of all types of speedo units. Come next winter they may want the speedo to have a go at it.Roger
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

As long as it reads fast & you know it does whats the problem. You have a 10% built in safety margin to keep within speed limits.In my experience all speedos read 10 to 15 % fast possibly to compensate for tyre wear/friction in the drive & for the manufacturers to avoid being sued by disgruntled drivers being prosecuted for speeding due to the instrument reading slow.In actual fact my Commanders appear to read very accurately when compared against the advisory speed register cameras we have in the U.K.If it aint broke dont fix it is my motto.Derek.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I'll go along with Dell Boy re;the "speed advisory camares"(allways assuming they are accurate!!)both the speedo on the Classic and my Bora seem to be spot on,and if one's speedo is a tad fast all to the good I say,(points on licences hike the old insurance up something wicked)ride safe,J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

GPS is very accurate with precision distance measuring and time giving a speed. Civilian GPS recievers may not have the highest distance measuring codes available but they are probably within ten metres. Military codes are good enough to find the threshold of a runway in poor weather in my experience. I would back GPS speed readout over poorly calibrated radar speed guns and car and motorcycle speedos any day. If Tomtom says 60, you're doing 60.
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Dell Boy wrote:As long as it reads fast & you know it does whats the problem. You have a 10% built in safety margin to keep within speed limits.In my experience all speedos read 10 to 15 % fast possibly to compensate for tyre wear/friction in the drive & for the manufacturers to avoid being sued by disgruntled drivers being prosecuted for speeding due to the instrument reading slow.In actual fact my Commanders appear to read very accurately when compared against the advisory speed register cameras we have in the U.K.If it aint broke dont fix it is my motto.Derek.
DerekI have six bikes on the road, two cars and a pick up. The biggest error is my 61 ES2 Norton which reads three mph faster at 60 than the GPS. BMW's are absolutly spot on as are both cars. The old pick up is 3% slow because of slightly higher section tyres. Any instrument on a vehicle of mine that does not read correctly within 3% for no reason is brocken and will be fixed. I often envy folks not being bothered by things being off as it is certainly less expensive. I do however get considerable satifaction out of getting my wheels mechanically ship shape and Bristol fasion. Hang the expense, give the cat the Gold Fish.RogerRoger