stop light switch

johnbirchjar

stop light switch

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys,is there anyway that I can adjust the front brake light switch on the Classic? cos; at the moment it will not activate untill allmost "emergancy braking preasure"is applied to the brake leaver,take care, regards,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: stop light switch

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

John, This seems to be a common failing with IP2s and Classics all suffering the same ...Once you find a cheap f/brake light switch, please let the rest of the ROC know!!Cheers,David
Steve Gee

Post by Steve Gee »

Goodridge do a banjo bolt (single or double length) with a built in brake light switch, I've never used one so can't tell you what sort of pressure they work at.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello John,Spray electrical contact cleaner into it [not WD40].I have got them working again in the past simply by doing this.Derek.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

The IP2/Classic switches operate by deforming a rubber diaphragm by brake line pressure. The rubber hardens with age and needs more and more pressure to make the diaphragm deform and the contacts meet. The only cure is a new switch, preferably of recent manufacture or you may get a 'new' switch with the same problem.I recently fitted two KTM switches to an IP2 and they work at the first hint of pressure. Part Number 503110 51100 £11.34 each inc VAT. Direct fit at the rear, but need a bit of 'engineering' for the front, or fit directly at the master cylinder. They have a fitted lead which takes the connections to a less corrosive location.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,I fitted a "new " switch from Rugely about 18 months? ago and the problem has got worse since then, so I suspect the switch was old stock.Where can I get a KTM switch?local bike dealer?A buddy of mine is a "sparks" so I'll try the "leclic" spray first,if the rubber has hardened (as Richard seems to think) I ca'nt see it helping much, but it's worth a try,I'll report on results anon,looking forward to Popham,ride safe,regards,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

[quote="johnbirchjar"]Thanks guys,I fitted a "new " switch from Rugely about 18 months? ago and the problem has got worse since then, so I suspect the switch was old stock.If the switch was slightly corroded on the zinc plating, then it is old stock from Norton, bought from Brembo in about 1987. Their stock of rear switches is recent and doesn't have the same problem.Where can I get a KTM switch?local bike dealer?From a KTM dealer; avoid the similar ones sold on eBay though - I bought two and neither worked, but got a full refund. The genuine KTM ones turned out to be cheaper
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for the advice Richard,but I tend to stay clear of e-bay shopping enyway,too risky!! so I'll be off to the nearest KTM dealer quit soon,ride safe,regards,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Richard,returning to the KTM switches,spoke to a very nice man at my local KTM dealers,(he owns an RX8 and would love a rotary bike,seems very knowledgable about the racing bikes and riders)the part number you gave is for the rear only,did you fit this to the front also?and if so the "slight engineering" you spoke of,did this involve lathes and things?if so I will have to go the master cylinder route as my workshop has only the very basic power tools,regards,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John,The KTM switch also holds the brake pipe banjo to the master cylinder in its standard application.You can use this at the front by fitting it as a replacement for the front master cylinder banjo bolt, discarding the original Brembo rubber boot, or find a spacer and fit it to the junction block on the bottom yoke in place of the original.Although I haven't tried, it may also replace the banjo bolt where the brake hose from the master cylinder attaches to the junction block; no spacer required and leave the original switch in position.At the rear, it's a straight swop for the Brembo part.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks Richard,I will soon poodle off to the KTM dealer and purchase the said switch and report anon,I will go on the Classic as the guy in the stores I spoke to is very interested to see the bike (as is a keen rotary admirer in their workshop).Weather is looking a bit iffy for Popham,but I will still make the effort,see you there,ride safe, J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

There you are Dave,a cheap and easy answer to the "brake light switch problem" (courtesy of Richard and KTM,)I've fitted one to the Classic and it works a treat, Very Happy ride safe,J.B.