carb help needed

cornishman

carb help needed

Post by cornishman »

are there any members who live near the devon cornwall border (Tavistock )who could assist me ,I have just had my engine rebuilt and I am having trouble getting the carbs adjusted. Got instructions from pete morris and help from Richard but I just dont seem to be able to get it to tick over smoothly .Realy getting fed up with the bike had it resprayed and then the engine rebuilt havent ridden it since and today the new petrol tap kit is letting fuel through without engine running .If I dont get it sorted soon it will be on the for sale pagedave (absolutely fed up of tavistock)
Richard Negus

Re: carb help needed

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Dave,I'm too far away to give practical assistance, but your fuel tap problem rings a bell. I had the same problem with a 'new' tap which wouldn't shut off. I tried swopping bits (mainly the diaphragm) from the old tap to the new body without any improvement. Putting the new diaphragm into the old tap cured it - but I don't know why.If your new tap came from Andover Norton, they've been in stock since 1988 or earlier, and probably need an overhaul kit (which they have in stock and are far more recent) which includes the diaphragm, plunger and o-ring.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

My Brother lives in Devon near to Cricket St Thomas how far is that as I visit there quite often but I would like to see the above done first... wink I am quiet good now at setting up carbs ask a few local people to me lol
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
cornishman

Post by cornishman »

thanks for the offer the only thing is that cricket st thomas is approx 90 miles away from tavistock and not a quick journey. the petrol tap will be replaced this week as the repair kit only lasted approx 3 months it was fitted in feb many thanks dave
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

I am not at home at the moment .... but there's Frank in Bude .... and another member with a Commander in Barnstaple.Any good?Can any member with a membership register email Dave contact details?Ta. David
cornishman

Post by cornishman »

thanks for that david ,I have reached the end of my tether with it I went into the garage this morn and it stank of petrol the tap had drained the tank .Tonight I have buried it at the back of the garage until I feel the urge to do something with it I am totally fed up with it, once I do get it running it will be sold dave
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

hi DaveI would not let a petrol tap beat you, in my experiance the hadrer somthing is to solve the greater the satisfaction when you sort itRegards Wayne