IP2 Lighter exhausts / ballast resistor

gripper

IP2 Lighter exhausts / ballast resistor

Post by gripper »

I was toying with the idea of replacing my IP2 silencers with some lighter items probably from ebay. I don't want to go down the line of a Geoff Madden exhaust due to cost. Has anybody in the club replaced their silencers with something else and did they stand the very high temperatures involved in a rotary system? They need to be street legal and not too noisey. On a different tack, what is the value of the ballast resistor fitted when using 6volt coils?TVM
Richard Negus

Re: IP2 Lighter exhausts / ballast resistor

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Dave,There was an F1 Sport slightly modified for racing which had two straight-through stainless silencers filled with stainless wire wool. Ordinary ceramic filling doesn't survive the temperatures for very long. Very fruity sound , but not as loud as 'Billy'.I haven't heard of any legal replacement silencers; Geoff seems to have cornered the market.Ballast resistor is nominally 1ohm with a minimum 25watt rating.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
rustynuts

Post by rustynuts »

I spied this IP2 on Fleabay a few years ago with Laser exhausts. I don't know what they are off but are a similar style to my standard Ducati ones; stainless ends pop riveted to an alloy can, which means you can easily dismantle them to re-pack with stainless wool. The front pipe is discoloured, but the alloy can appears to have not melted (yet?).
2211_1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malc

Post by Malc »

The silver track bike has these fitted and have been ok but a bit loud!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.