f1 front discs

steve traynor

f1 front discs

Post by steve traynor »

has anybody recently replaced their front discs and carriers or provide information on them
Wayne

Re: f1 front discs

Post by Wayne »

hi what info do you want to know, NML apperd to have one compleat new disk left, its normaly the disk rotor that wears, The disks are brembo as are the rotors.Note the Nrs racing pvm wheel and disks are different and will not fit the f1 pvm wheel nor will the f1 disks fit the nrs pvm wheel{i tried boss holes way too big), see below the Nrs disk on my non-f1 pvm wheel. Regards WayneImage
steve traynor

Post by steve traynor »

I wondered what else was compatible eg ducati etc
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi To my knoledge, there is not a direct replacement, Richard or Graham are the best people to comment, there are a few main factors rotor boss mounting hole diamiter, pcd of the bolts for the rotor, number of bolts and diamiter, offset of the disk rotor, disk thicknes, overall diamiter of the disk. The purpous of the photo was to show dispite wp forks with 40mm caliper bottoms, pvm wheel, brembo 40mm 4 pot gold line calipers the brembo f1 disks dont fit, but the nrs disk dose.i noticed there were a set of racing brembo rotors which looked correct for the f1 but of a ducati, however the only way to be sure would be by acurate mesuremet, theres always the posibility somthing may fit or can be made to fit. Spondon may make some for youRegards wayne
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have replaced the bobbins on my BMW and they look exactly the same so if it is just those have a look on eBay smiley
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hinote theres a big misconception on the F1 its the rotors that wear more than the bobins causing the problems. Second at what point is acepterble wear and mot failure, ist the bacward and forward movment the side to side can be spring loaded also stops the disk rattling as mutch.With fauthought if we have to get rotors and bobins made the spair set of cutouts for the bobins on the rotor would double its life. Look at the above picture you have two sets of mountings per rotor).AN not NML (Zfd @ Joe) has a new rotor and disk, perfect for a pattern to make new disks, any chance AN will remanufacture the disks jo, as i belive this is the one part every f1 and sport owner who rides there bike will require. Regards Wayne
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

Wayne,Will discuss with Pete & Richard. If they reckon there is demand we can do something. We are currently restocking on some items that have been out for a long time like control cables, certain gaskets etc, but it takes time because many original suppliers have gone by the wall or aren't interested in our quantities. There are 50 times more Commandos about and in use than rotaries, not to mention all other Nortons which share many parts with the Commando, so even our usual suppliers don't get over-excited by rotary quantity requirements.RegardsJoe
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

The front disc wasn't specific to Norton; it was a catalogue item from Brembo used on other brands, mostly Italian, of bike at that time. Although technology has moved on, and 'fully floating' discs don't float that much anymore, those other brands must have found a source for replacement discs of that diameter, thickness, offset and bolt pattern. You never know, stainless discs might even be available!As noted earlier, it is usually the alloy carrier that wears. The bobbins are hard-anodised and hardly ever show signs of wear.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Steve Gee

Post by Steve Gee »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBC-Bremsscheiben ... dae80eeAre these any good for you or are you looking for originals ? not cheap though ! and do EBC still produce them ?
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Steve,They look a 'proper job' with modern rivetted stainless bobbins. As you say, not cheap, but then original Brembos were so cheap either.R.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi allThats a resnoble price, thanks for the link very usefullEbc made Mark a rear disk for his Rcw he had to send them his rear wheel? However Ebc catolog on the website lists F1 front disk as Md684 F1 rear disk Md816 commander front disk Md2011 rear disk Md2069. Doulble check with your EBC supplier. Somthing tells me the disks fit somthing ells as richard suggests, interplod disks are na ? i may change my brembo disks befor they wear beond use, i wonder if i will get extra discount for 3 pairsRegards Wayne
Nortonash

Post by Nortonash »

I reckon they would be the same as those used on various Ducatis of the time.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Nortonash wrote:I reckon they would be the same as those used on various Ducatis of the time.
Guzzis too, I think.A word of caution though ; the picture of MD684 shows five bolt holes - it may be just a generic photo, but the F1 has six bolts.
steve traynor

Post by steve traynor »

wow all this because of a strong advisory from an mot tester who rides an a65 with comical hub 1"thick leather soles and an anchor to throw out. thanks everyone
steve traynor

Post by steve traynor »

today i ordered a pair of discs from ebc outlet for just under £300, apparently a disc was given to them by andy greenwood is he a member?
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Andy Greenwood, he WAS a member - and promises to be so again - but not at present.It is he who is organising the VJMC's Stanford Hall Club Show.DC