CO meter

andygbsmith

CO meter

Post by andygbsmith »

Has anyone tried setting there carbs up using a CO meter.
Malc

Re: CO meter

Post by Malc »

During the 1980's, I tested a few IP2s that I thought were performing very well, all running fully advanced with the retard box disconnected.The typical CO figures were 4.00 to 4.25%When adjusted to a lower figure, performance dropped off.None of the bikes were ever set up using the CO meter. All were done the old fashioned way of road testing without the side panels fited and a screwdriver in your pocket. Pull into a lay-by, adjust, test, pull in again, re-adjust and re-test until the optimum performance were gained, tickover could then be re-adjusted and oil pump setting re-checkedThe figure for the jet height as stated in the manual is only a guide as they would all differ slightly. Throttle butterflies had to be carefully adjusted to open evenly before testing and the throttle cable free play also set.So if you check one and it is running at or about this not so environmentally friendly figure, then you should not be far off for optimum performance.Malc
andygbsmith

Re: CO meter

Post by andygbsmith »

Thanks for the info. I will set them using a meter and then play to see what gives the best results.Andy