carb failure

Interpol2471

carb failure

Post by Interpol2471 »

Had an interesting break down today on the M3, the bike was running fine and then dropped onto one rotor and appeared to have oiled the plug. After drying the plug out and spinning over the engine it still failed to start and the plug had again become oiled, after investigating at home I noticed the plug was always dry of fuel so I stripped the carb and found that the gland nut that holds the main jet apperture in place in the carb body had worked loose and fallen out against the float body.All is well again now but has anyone else seen this failure and should we be checking this yearly?
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
gripper

Re: carb failure

Post by gripper »

Probably caused by all that vibration wink have you had that part apart yourself or is it as supplied? ie never been apart.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

The only things I have changed on the carbs is the choke O rings so this is as supplied, mind you that was in 1986 and 55000 miles ago red face Bit of a shock when you go to overtake on the M3 and all you get is oil mist though !!!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Having covered roughly 300,000 miles on 6 different Norton rotary`s I have never had this happen.I have never had anything ever go wrong with the SU carbs. As far as I am concerned they are bullet proof.Yesterday, overtaking a large horsebox trailer on the recently aquired 650ss, going up a steep hill on a country road it cut out on one, then on both cylinders as a horse box truck appeared over the crest of the hill in front of me,then it chimed in again & I am still here to tell the tale.The magneto finally failed quarter mile from home so had to be pushed including over a very steep & long railway bridge approach.I hate magnetos.I have started fitting coil ignition today.Derek.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Well Derek as per usual anything mechanical can have it's failures as I found out, but after my evening in the wksp it was all in good order and the bike ran well today. So well in fact that I went to the Newbury Show and won best in class, who said IP2's are not beautiful Very Happy Whatever next an IP2 show winner, that must have put the value up lol
gripper

Post by gripper »

What class is that then? Isn't the Newbury show for agricultural vehicles? that must put any Harley Davidson at the top of the list wink
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Best 1980's motorcycle see picture in gallery.