Ejector Exhausts and MOTs

Dave Perry

Ejector Exhausts and MOTs

Post by Dave Perry »

Hi Chaps, I'm sure that you old hands must have been through this loop before, but as I am fairly new to all this, so could you please pass on your collective wisdom ?I have just purchased a ratty IP2; the even better news is that the engine has been moly'd and the gearbox feels OK. My garage dreams do tend to get a bit out of hand, but just for curiositys sake < How do you get an ejector engined air cooled bike through an MOT>. Geoff M must manage it every year, so it must be possible. Do you need a really understanding friend at the MOT station, or is it no big deal ? You do read about race cans being "not approved" for road use - does this not apply to ejector systems. ??Best Regards dp
kanonkopdrinker

Ejector exhausts

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi DaveFrom memory, what the law says is that an exhaust may not be modified in such a way that the noise emitted is increased. Now this relies on a few things ... not the least of which is the police officer / MoT tester knowing what the standard exhaust sounded like. With a bike such as the Norton, most testers' reactions seem to be, 'That's the first one of those I've seen', so you're probably in with a chance there.And, do you know ... I have even heard of some people making up little 'BS' plates and putting them on these ejector exhausts to prove their legality!!! Yes!Member Bill Meredith has a lovely sounding ejector exhaust on his IP2 - but I do not have an email address for him