water pump housing advice needed

cornishman

water pump housing advice needed

Post by cornishman »

just removed the water pump housing from the commander is it wise to fit new O rings ? also do you still use wellseal to fit the O rings as it says in the manual and what RTV do I use many thanks in advancedave
cornishman

Re: water pump housing advice needed

Post by cornishman »

I meant to mention on the flywheel written in indelible pen is No 11 anyone any ideas what this means dave
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Probably means the 11th. water pump has been fitted. Only joking!!!!!!Derek.
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

I have changed quite a few water pumps & have never fitted new "O" rings. I have used Wellseal, Hylomar Blue, Instant Gasket & Red Hermetite. All with 100% success.Derek.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

I have always used bath silicone sealant - cheap and free from solvent. On rebuilding an engine recently I had the solvent in the Welseal swell the seals up and blow them out of the grooves. £7+ per tube makes it a little bit pricey to use where it can be avoided!!On the subject of waterpumps, who has copied Richard's idea of scrapping the overweight waterpump housing and fitting an electric boat/car type 12v pump? I would be interested to see how Richard's set up has worked out. What gain was had from dumping the alternator stator for a standalone generator running on a belt?
Richard Negus

Was it worth it ?

Post by Richard Negus »

Roberto wrote: What gain was had from dumping the alternator stator for a standalone generator running on a belt?
Standard generator gives about 380 watts continuously and needs a rectifier/regulator which converts excess power into heat. Many 'battery boiling' and 'undercharging' problems are due to poor connections, particularly the ground wires for the regulator.The NipponDenso is a standard automotive part, made by the million, cost me £75 new, 600W maximum output, internally regulated to produce only what the system actually requires. Two wires; heavy cable (84/0.30) to the battery and one (16/0.20) from the ignition switch. Completely trouble-free and maintenance-free in 9,800 miles. No belt adjustment required either.I'm not sure that my electric pump is the best solution to the faults (coupling life, maintenance, seal life, etc..) in the standard water pump. The F1 pump has proven trouble-free even though it uses the same internal components, but then the bearings are spaced further apart and the coupling is lubricated by primary oil.The electric set-up was expensive, and would have cost even more if I hadn't found a new pump on eBay for £49.99, a third of its normal retail.In reserve I have a Hinckley Triumph pump, very similar to the F1 but of opposite rotation, which I could fit to the primary cover like an F1. That would improve the plumbing under the right hand side panel and allow a better flow of hot air from the radiator.But while the electric pump is working so well, I'll leave it alone.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!