housing plating wear

Roberto

housing plating wear

Post by Roberto »

I am on the point of rebuilding my Commander at 35k miles with all new tips seals etc but have worries about a series of marks in the chromium either on the rising or falling away from the narrowest points - very prevalent near the spark plug hole. (see attached -If I can found out how to insert an image!) I read that on the Maxda RX trammel marks on the housings were common until the tip and spring profiles were modified. There are also mentions on other sites about similar rotary wear issues. It was proposed that the tips bounce and dig in.I am wondering if I should send the housings to the States for special ceramic coating as this is supposed to be a fix. Has anyone tried it with a bike engine? Has anyone got an idea of what profile changes need to be made to a Norton seal set to avoid further housing damage? I am preparing to try an Aixro ceramic two part apex seal set as these are lighter but also more durable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gripper

Re: housing plating wear

Post by gripper »

Check out a company called Hurley, they make a special swing tip for racing engines. not cheap they also do a direct lubrication to the tip seal. Google "Mazda tip seal" and go to the rotary art link. I don't think the rotor housing is chrome but nikalsil. With rotor housings becoming quite rare, It's a brave man who experiments on his precious engine parts.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

That looks quite normal to me and there isn't much you can do about it.If the wear on the edge is particularly bad ( where the small part of the seal rubs ) rebuild the engine with the apex seals upside down.Atb.
graham

Post by graham »

Looks fine to me too,Housings are plated with Nikasil; Nikasil is magnetic so if you can stick a magnet to your housing it's OK to use. If a magnet drops off, it's worn through the plating.Housing failures are very rare, and usually catastrophic so very easy to see!Graham.